LHD clutch cable too short [did use search!]

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubdubz

Reaction score
Hi

Seen a few posts about clutch cable being too short - used my spare as the old one had frayed - listed as a 3200mm 68-71 LHD not sure of make fania? holding them side by side they seemed about the right length. New one was slightly shorter I think.
Anyway it seems about 10-20mm too short, I lost patience but I suspect I could get the wing nut by forcing arm - and partially engaging the clutch then the pressure would stretch the cable?? but it doesn't compute that I'd need to do that.

I might see if gsf have a later bay one as these are supposed to be 3215, and those that posted on threads that the arm was pulled back to fit - are they still ok?

It is times like these I wish I had a two post ramp!

Mine was the same - i did turn the arm a bit to get the wing nut on to try it and it worked fine so was prob the right cable. Cant remember the part no. But i thinh it was the same as the one Vwheratige list :msn4:
Been on a year now no probs :msn4:

The problem is theres loads of different length cables but most companies only stock a couple. I had this problem, and after GSF messing me about with 3 wrong cables, Heritage sorted me out. You need to be specific about your bus year etc.

Thanks guys for responding, the one I have was listed as 3200mm, but was more like 3180?
And this did seem about 20mm too short.
The gsf one I bought was listed as a later one and is supposed to be 3215, this allowed the nut to be quite easily attached at rest, but I couldn't get the pedal to feel firm.So is too long, I probably had 25mm of thread left, so it was a fair way down, I perhaps should have tried but figured that when the cable stretched I have no adjustment (and the need to adjust would be miles from home!)
I have the short one in and around 15mm of thread on the rear of the wingnut, so probably 50mm left. The pedal feels quite heavy and I'm thinking its too tight?
The pedal does have some slack before it gets really firm. let me rephrase that, the spring tension is less for about 1" then feels heavier. Pedal is high but I haven't driven my bus for 8 months so it feels weird anyway...

Dumb question how do I tell if the clutch is being operated at rest because the cable is too tightly adjusted?

15mm on is quite a lot, and its only 1 or 2 turns that can make a difference! I know cause when i fitted mine it seemed good, but when on a bit of a drive it started slipping a bit! Backed it off 2 turns and been good since. Try backing yours 5mm and see what sort of difference it makes :msn4:

Latest posts