Clutch cables!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRAD

Reaction score
Hi

I've been having a mare doing the simplest job in the world! :cry:

I bought a new clutch cable after mine snapped, I got the 69-71 Cable length 3254mm.

Connected it all up using the worn OE clip because the repo one I thought was a bit crappy, greased the cable, replaced the bowden tube.... all was going well :lol:

Threaded cable end falls short oft the clutch arm by nearly an inch!! :shock: so no chance of getting the wing nut on.

Any ideas? am I just being special or having a senior moment?

Hopefully it's something obvious I've missed, couldn't feel my fingers and it was too dark so my will to stay on my back swearing disappeared.

Cheers

Brad

Start with the obvious things first, lay it out against your old cable to see how they compare. Maybe your old one was a longer one? Or maybe it just needs a bit of persuasion to pull the arm forwards and get the wing nut on. Then the tension of the clutch springs will stretch the cable back to where it should sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Measure it I had one once that was shorter than the stated length by an inch or so

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

prop the clutch pedal up so you're not trying to pull it up while fitting it at the gearbox end

Would you mind popping up the supplier and part number? It'll help for sure, but the main reason I ask is because mine's about an inch too long! Had to "make a spacer" for it (stacked some nuts on there!)

All done I was just being an idiot!!

Bundy was right, failed to prop the clutch pedal up, also removed the wheel to gain better access.

Once that was done it was simple.

Latest posts