Little issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busboy1971

Reaction score
Hello again everybody.

I wondered if i could pick your brains? I have refitted my engine and now it runs.
But for some reason the battery will not charge, before the engine was out this was not an issue, i have attached a pic and i wondered if somebody could see if the wires have gone back on the right way (being stupid i forgot to take pics before taking out the engine DOH!!!) or offer any advice.
Second thing i have attached another pic of what i call the FLUX CAPACITOR which i believe controls the auto choke, this now appears not to be working, i have noticed there is a spade connector on there but i can not find the wire anywhere. Is this a direct ignition live? as i need to replace the missing wire.

Thanks, any feedback would be really appriecated.

Mark

(again being a little special both pics are sideways)

Attachments

• DSC00460.JPG
    56.3 KB
  • DSC00459.JPG
    60.7 KB
The second one is the choke, and has a direct feed from the +ve side of the coil on mine.

WHS ^^^^

Just run a wire from your coil - it doesn't look like your carb has a fuel shut-off to worry about (but if it did you can just piggyback the choke wire), good luck!

;)

Justin & Mutley said:
WHS ^^^^

Just run a wire from your coil - it doesn't look like your carb has a fuel shut-off to worry about (but if it did you can just piggyback the choke wire), good luck!

;)

How can you tell that without seeing the other side of the carb? :?:

On mine, the carb cutoff and choke mechanism are both on the same wire from the coil +ve / ignition terminal.

I dont think there are any other wires leading in to the otherside of the carb. Is it not the case of running a direct wire from the positive side of the coil to the choke then?

Thanks

Mark

Just check that you haven't trapped a wire first but it is just a case of running a wire from the positive side of the coil to the choke.
Do you have any wires on the coil as most go from the coil to the fuel shut off valve then loops round to the auto choke

Mark,

re wiring the genny, you have that wrong and i hope you have not knackerd it. the brown and red/white wire need to be swapped.
brown is the earth and red/white is D+

Froggy - The only other wire i can see goes to a transducer shape thing, bronze cylinder type component which is the other sid eof the carb to the choke and is situated at the base of the carb. I cant see any other wires around there. When i took the engine out i left the coil with all the wires attached in the engine bay of the van so in theory all i would need to do is bolt the coil up and away it should have gone.

Cheers

OH BUGGER, i will change them round now. Cant believe i wired them up wrong. $%&*$%&*$%&*%&*$ FECK!

Will post back as soon as i have changed them.
Thanks

Mark

the other wire for the auto choke and fuel cut off soliniod should come from the coil, same side as the ignition wire, as your looking into engine bay left hand side of coil, wire comes from coil to fuel cut off then too auto choke..

basically just an ignition feed live..

Jon.

Thanks Jon, i feel like a right idiot.
Will get on it now, prob will be this afternoon before i post back.

Thanks again

Mark

Tofufi said:
Justin & Mutley said:
WHS ^^^^

;)

How can you tell that without seeing the other side of the carb? :?:

On mine, the carb cutoff and choke mechanism are both on the same wire from the coil +ve / ignition terminal.

You're right - I couldn't know that :oops: ... that's why I mentioned piggybacking it if there was one!

Sorry if I've confused anyone!!

;)

No worries J&M, I was wondering if you had some immense knowledge of carbs... I know the early ones didn't have cutoffs... :wink:

RE-58herbie, I have changed the Brown and Red/White wire around started the van and took it for a 10 min drive, the battery light was still on, turned of the engine and tried to restart but no joy. The battery is not charging. Does this mean i have fecked the dynamo?

Thanks

Mark

Latest posts