locking petrol caps for early bays

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres one here :-

http://www.serial-kombi.com/volkswagen-combi-bay-window-1968-1979-bouchon-d-essence-1968-7-1971-avec-serrure--N312172.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or you can put a lock on the flap instead.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Early-Bay-bus-68-71-Beelte-bug-61-67-Locking-fuel-petrol-cap-camper-T34-Thing-/200677112694?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item2eb949bb76#ht_1940wt_935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch it with the BBT repro ones, they are total crap!!!!!
The rubber seal is so thin that it deformes and shrink to 50% of it's original size after got wet from the gasoline they are a total waste of money :evil:

Dirty Harry said:
Watch it with the BBT repro ones, they are total crap!!!!!
The rubber seal is so thin that it deformes and shrink to 50% of it's original size after got wet from the gasoline they are a total waste of money :evil:

I 2nd that, I bought one and it feels very cheap, also after a week the rubber seal drops off eveytime I use it... Anyone have a standard cap I can buy? lol

Trikky2 wrote

Good point, thanks. Any advice on how to go about this as an alternative to an actual locking cap?

Original VW ones come up for sale occasionally ;) (mine aren't for sale)

CIMG7577.jpg

Mine still works after 40 years :)

another agreeing on the BBT ones being utter shite....great way to piss fuel all over your paintwork but thats about it! :evil:

Delilahtoo said:
Trikky2 wrote

Good point, thanks. Any advice on how to go about this as an alternative to an actual locking cap?

Yes. You can buy simple filing cabinet type locks from iron mongers.

You measure for the correct position (so the locking tab locates when locked without the lock itself catching on the body) and drill the flap and fit.

Most come with a tongue which you can bend for a better closed position or you can make one from a small off cut of 1 to 2 mm sheet.

Trikky2 said:
Delilahtoo said:
Trikky2 wrote

Yes. You can buy simple filing cabinet type locks from iron mongers.

You measure for the correct position (so the locking tab locates when locked without the lock itself catching on the body) and drill the flap and fit.

Most come with a tongue which you can bend for a better closed position or you can make one from a small off cut of 1 to 2 mm sheet.

I like the sound of this idea and as its only the flap its not perminent

I've got this on my van currently as it was previously fitted and it works perfectly fine. Doesn't look too out of place either. If I remember, I will take a pick at the weekend when I am working on it.

I've found this one but you can't make it out to clearly as it is the whole side of the vehicle
imag0418h.jpg

Cheers Guys

Ireally like the idea of a locking flap - think i'll do that.

cheers

s

I have a snapped off key in mine! Is it buggered or can I get the barrel replaced? If so, by whom?

Chars!

sparkywig said:
lcfmonkey said:
I have a snapped off key in mine! Is it buggered or can I get the barrel replaced? If so, by whom?

Chars!

Find a local locksmith and he'll be able to remove the key and cut a new one from the lock.
i was about to say iv got a locking cap but no key... hoping for suggestions
not much point now.

Latest posts