Long Trips

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandonspans

Reaction score
Me and my partner are planning on a big European trip in the near future (once covid is under control). We have previously done a similar trip but in a VW T25 watercooled, I'm wondering what you guys do in regards to oil changes abroad or for any trip that takes you over the 3000 mile oil change period or the max mileage you would do on the same oil

I'd probably take the oil with me, just in case you end up somewhere that doesn't have the right oil readily available.

Hardest part will likely be disposing of the old oil, so it might be worth just finding a local garage wherever you end up and just get them to do it so you don't have to think about it.

P.S. insurance rules for European travel have changed so triple check with your insurer what you need to take with you

The requirement for a religious 3k oil change is probably a pretty conservative target now with modern oils. If you were going upto 5k miles then I'd say a tappet check and ensuring the oil is topped up would be adequate.
If you are really going over 5k, or feel at 3k you'd want to change the oil, then I'd probably take the oil and a gasket set and find a garage to do it for you ... or maybe let you hire a ramp for an hour?

And also - if you are going to be a gone a while, you can only be away for 90 days now without a visa :(

Latest posts