Loose pipe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huyrob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing my fuel pipes to the "ethanol proof" ones I noticed a small amount of movement on the lower pipe going to petrol pump shown in photo.there is no leak or seepage but this can't be right?
Can it be fixed? I'm not sure how the pipes are held in position within the pump.
Will need t take off alternator and carbs etc so if it can't be fixed w I'll need to source a replacement.
Any suggestions?

The inlet pipe shouldn't move but you can fix it by hard soldering it, and I would do both the inlet and outlet pipes.
You'll need to remove the pump to fix it as soldering with it full of fuel isn't advisable. Check the diaphragm and pushrod while it's out as well.
I wouldn't bother with a replacement as the new ones aren't as good as the one you've got.

What he said ^^ you don't want that pipe coming off and spraying fuel over your engine.

I've also seen people lockwire them in to the pump and around the fuel hose clip. If I could see movement I'd want more than that.

Off it comes then!
As a supplementary question I am going to replace the hose and pipe from the tank ( got the kit from Peter at Airworks cooled )
Is it possible to do this from underneath access wise or is it an engine out job. I've got a set of very strong ramps that raises her an extra 14 inches.

Good advice, I've just ordered one from VW aircooled works. Pleased that this means no more cheap plastic filter, plus I will be able to ditch the bucket of sand backup .

If your tank is quite clean inside and you don't get a lot of rusty bits coming out, you will probably be ok with just the small filter in the solenoid. I've got one from Aircooled works as well. The plastic filters get a bad rap from some people, but I've never had a problem with one, and in fact I still have one between the tank and the solenoid, although I probably don't need it.

Thanks Mike.
Sparkywig recommended soldering which I will have a go at, sometimes I get it right. I wonder what the vie is on using JB weld ?

I would get rid of the Jubilee clips and fit 'proper' fuel pipe clips too. Glueing is not a option when you have heat and vibration, fire is not your friend :D

Thanks. I don't have jubilee clips on my fuel line so no problem there. I can see the logic in soldering but it is very difficult to assess whether it has actually gripped, on wire it is reasonably easy to tell. JB epoxy however will grab and is OK up to 500 deg F. Whether it be solder or epoxy vibration will presumably always be an issue.

Well,
Got under the bus today. Drained fuel tank and took off the 23mm? Connection to the fuel tank .good news was there was not a lot of debris there. I was surprised at the fitting though , just a collar seating inside the nut with no seal ( no leaks though)
Took petrol pump off , the " loose" inlet pipe actually pulled off ! I think a PO may have forced it when replacing pipes as it was at a strange angle and far too close to the larger rubber pipe ( just below the blue wire in my first photo, sorry don't know what this is 🙂)
So :
1. Thanks Sparkywig, I think all is ok but the outer edges of the diaphragm are.....wrinkly so probably best to get the JK kit although it's pricey and I don't need all the bits.

2. The loose pipe on the pump actually pulled out when I tried to pull the hose off. I was surprised that these are not actually bonded in any way but merely have zigzags on the outer surface of the tube to bite in to the receiving channel. When I had cleaned it all up and used covered pliers to reinsert it , it seemed to grip well with no wiggle ( may still try solder but the pump manufacturers didn't deem it necessary.
3. Was a bit surprised having taken off the 23 mm nut on the tank that there was no seal and the disc on the copper pipe merely settled metal to metal on the nut ( no leak though) what thread seal or seat seal is recommended

3. Will be fitting a solenoid cut out from VW Aircooled works so , hopefully all then sorted.

One final puzzling thing,
When I pulled the hose off the tank spigot I am certain tha I saw wisps ( very feint of something ...not smoke but traces of something. Lasted very faintly for about 15 minutes and went . ( don't laugh it was there !!)
Any explanations...IVE GOT THICK SKIN 😜

Your wispy bits as you call it are more than likely got to do with temperature change.
Did you open the tank before draining so that a vacuum was not created, loads of imponderables.
Vapour clouds are another..... Hope this goes someway to chasing the ghosts. :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

Hi gas1man
Yes I had the fuel cap off.
I've heard from Peter at VW aircooled works that it was vapour and not unusual to see it. It was a bit disconcerting at the time though. 👻

Latest posts