Lopsided back end!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boycer

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westy
Hi, I have a 1970 Westfalia which has been lowered. The rear is lopsided though (although not massively noticeable). The difference is about 15mm. It has been lowered using horseshoe brackets, which look like the have been fitted the same on both sides, so am I right in thinking the difference will be caused by different torsion bar spline set up?

If so, can I correct it by just removing the spring plates & setting them the same or do i need to start removing other things?

Cheers

Yes, you will need to remove the end cap and disconnect the spring plate from the hub/a-arm.
I would say that you will have to;
Release the spring plate from its stop on both sides.
Check the angle of the one that is correct (?) and replicate that on the other side.
Remember that the number of splines is different on the inside and outside of the torsion bar, so if you can't get the angle you want by adjusting just the outer, you will have to alter the inner as well. Im not sure if this table is for bus or bug but it will give you an idea.
http://vw.zenseeker.net/Wheels-TorsionBars.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good luck

Is it lower on the drivers side? Usually is sagged. Put adjustable Spring plates on you can set it mm perfect then

I changed the rubber bushes in the diagonal arm ? Where they join the rear torsion tube . Made a big difference to the camber and helped with the sag a bit aswell . Although didn't completely sort it . Had to play with the splines for that

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses.

Yep, the sag is on the drivers side :(

I'm gonna look into it more over the winter I will let you know how I get on!

Thanks again.

Hi,

I've finally got round to checking the angles of the spring plates and they are both exactly the same angle (19 degrees), so what else could be causing the sagging on the drivers side (or am I missing something else)? The rear shockers don't look brilliant, but no obvious signs of leaking, so any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Well if your bus is leaning and the spring plates are set correctly, then you first need to check if you have gas filled shocks. A faulty one can mean one side rides higher than the other.

Once the shocks have been eliminated as a possible cause, check the front suspension.
A straight chassis means that if you have one corner down the opposite one must be up.

An easy way to check :- On a flat and level surface, use a trolley jack, set it to the the exact centre of the front suspension tube. Jack the vehicle so the front tyres are clear of the ground.
If the vehicle is even side to side then the back is ok and it's the front that's out.
If the vehicle still leans the same as before then the rear suspension is at fault.
If it's leaning whilst correctly adjusted it would indicate worn suspension bushes or a broken leaf in the torsion bar.

Thanks for the response.

Ive just taken the shocks off and even as a novice at this sort of thing they don't look right to me!

At rest (full compression) they are a different lengths, about 4-5m difference, the top bush on the drivers side looks knackered (rubber perished & central metal ring misshapen) and the passengers side appears to have a very minor oil leak...all in all it looks like I need new rear shocks!

Without sounding stupid (ahem...) I assume this difference in lengths will account for the lopsided rear end?

Cheers

While you have the shocks off or disconnected, it might be a good idea to measure both sides to see what's up. The shocks should not remove any movement in your suspension if they are the correct ones (stock type) if they are seized it's a possibility or completely the wrong size. Might be worth checking they are the same while off and that they are free. Also look for signs of oil leakage as in crud around seal areas. Even gas shocks have oil in them which can leak out. Could be a combination of things like a buggered shock or splines or umpteen things but this is the perfect opportunity to check the rest just by measuring. Worked on one years ago that was lopsided and had been for the two or three years that my mate had it. It turned out that it had odd struts on it that someone had put on to try and get rid of the lean that had developed which was nuffink to do with it as it had been in a bump we thought.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, they got history some times :mrgreen:

We had the exact same problem on ours. The donuts were new and the splines were set exactly the same. Changing the Swing Arm Rubber on the driver's side sorted it out. We also had adjustable spring plates the were set almost exactly the same.

Latest posts