Losing the rear seatbelts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoggyB

Reaction score
Hello! This might be a bit of a ramble with no real point but anyway...

I've been working on my bus for about 18 months and it's gotten to the point where I need to look into putting the interior in. Which should be the fun part really.

When I took the old interior out there were two lap belts in the back, mounted in the 4 mounting points in the rear bulkhead in front of the fuel tank. I didn't think this looked quite right at the time but I was planning on switching them for 3 pointers anyway so I didn't think anything of it and just binned them. Now I've gone to look into fitting 3 pointers I can't see a safe way to do it.

I know there's a mounting point under the windows, one for each belt on each side of the rear bulkhead (with two in the middle for a lap belt) and there should be one on each wheel well, but this was the state of the wheel well points when I dug the old interior out.

2016_05_20_16_23_28.jpg

That's been welded up neat and tidy now but considering there's a repair panel in place I don't really fancy the chances of it holding in the event of a nasty shunt if I get another anchor plate welded there. The other mounting points, though in perfect condition, are obviously a little lacking in the safety department too considering the bus is nearing its 5th decade and that sort of safety wasn't particularly advanced back then.

I guess the point is I'm thinking that rather than fitting some safe looking 3 point seat belts, that are probably anything but safe, I should eschew them entirely and just never have passengers in the back. I know the front seat belts have similar issues but considering the crumple zone in the front is generally the driver I don't expect the belts to make much of a difference in a bad crash and they're there to satisfy the law more than anything.

Has anyone else just not bothered and limited themselves to two occupiable seats or am I being a bit excessive? I'm not sure I am.

Cheers,

Jamie

They may not be of any use in a nasty shunt but could help in a more minor one.

I'd fit them.

I would fit them too. I have a full width bench seat with two 3 point seat belts and a lap belt in the middle. My wheel arches were so far gone that I couldn't fit the anchorage points to them. So the end of the belts are attached to anchorage points on the body bracing struts behind the panel work. They were fitted professionally and there have been no MOT problems as a result. I will post some pics later to explain what I mean

Pellwood said:
I will post some pics later to explain what I mean

That'd be super helpful.

Davydomes said:
We have a 3/4 Bed with a Lap Belt on one side with a 3 pointer on the other.

Have you got the lap belt attached to the two holes in the very middle of the rear bulkhead?

I'll not give up on the idea just yet.

Hopefully you can make sense if the pics. The top of my rear wheel arches are cheese.
BB3404D1-BB14-42E9-9AA4-169ACCA10A18_zps1yvkvzz1.jpg

So the garage relocated the end mount to the reinforcing struts behind the rear panels
A4BB7A1D-D432-4B60-9830-ECD711D26BE4_zpsikuwxlet.jpg

I had to modify the panel card at the bottom but it cant be seen as it's below the seat.

Hope this helps

Interesting. I haven't seen that solution before.

I got a D in physics at school so I'll ask around about that one. Thanks for taking the time to take some pictures.

Lol, no problem, it is bolted to a proper seatbelt mounting spreader plate behind the strut. You got me thinking now :cry:

However, in our vehicles due to their age I'm not sure if the rear belts are checked as part of the MOT but it's been at my local garage plenty of times for body work etc. So if it were a problem then presumably they would have highlighted it. I'd be interested to know what others think too.

Pellwood said:
Lol, no problem, it is bolted to a proper seatbelt mounting spreader plate behind the strut. You got me thinking now :cry:

Ha, I wouldn't worry about it, i've got a habit of over analyzing things. There's only so much you can do to make an old delivery van safe and it looks solid enough.

That's excellent, vinvan. Are they your pics?

Latest posts