Louvred window seals

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vil

Reaction score
Hey all, I have just about changed every seal on my bus now (apart from front doors, they are next) but I also need to change the seals in the Westy louvred windows. Is this an easy job? They look fairly complex to me and I am not sure where to start!

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

I've done it, but around 2 years ago, so this is all from memory so don't hang me if I'm a bit vague here and there.

Having removed the entire frame from the bus. Strip the frame down by removing all the self taps that hold it together. Do this in a systematic manner. Outer frame off, remove each louvre making careful note of how everything fits together (digital camera?) If you do one side only you will have a source of reference from the other side. With care the aluminium frames with seals can be removed from the glass. Getting the old seals out of the grooves in which they run is the tricky part. Westfalia crimped the ends of the slots to grip the seal. I found that a small flat blade screwdriver worked the best by opening up the groove and sliding the old seal out, it's actually quite obvious once you start.

Clean everything up, glass aluminium frames etc. Then start by fitting the seals over the glass they need quite a stretch from memory. A sharp craft knife will be needed to cut the seals around each corner. Look at the old ones carefully when you take them off and you will see how Westfalia did it. Fit new seals in the grooves in the aluminium rails and I squeezed the groove with a large pair of side cutters to grip the seal which need to be trimmed to length. Washing up liquid will help enormously with seal fitting. Then it was a case of re-assemble each louvre then fit them into the outer frame screw everything back together fit the new outer seal and use Waxoyl when you fit the lot back in the body.

That lot seems a little disjointed now I've written it, but it is a 2 year old memory and the brain cell isn't what it was. We had to feel our way at every step. It went back in and is leak free. If you get stuck put a new post on here with a picture and I'll try and help. Good luck.

The final take looks like this.

DSCF0624.jpg

did mine last year. Clarkson46 is spot on with the instructions. but it is a lot easier than it sounds, easiest way is to unscrew and take apart one louvre at a time. i also found getting the old rubbers out from the crimped sections a pain, and a small screwdriver is def best to prize them open.
good luck

froggy said:
Is the outer (main ) seal the same size as an ordinary window seal?

No it's a Westfalia seal and came with the kit we used. The frame is held in by self tap screws which pull the seal in from outside. It's fairly obvious when you see it.

I just bought a pair of windows to refurb then swap over my OG ones, where are the seal kits sold?

Just

Latest posts