Low indicators on doors and rear corners

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Small Face

Reaction score
Just out of interest/curiosity

Why do some campers, early all the way through to end of production have the indicators on the side of the doors and rear corners and some dont?

I originally thought that it was only USA imports on earleis due to no rear indicators, but some lates have them, and then other USA imports dont?!!

Am i well off and they were just an extra, or does it depend on which state they were imported from? :?

They are driving lights, as far as i know all US cars have them, very early bays have round ones on the arches, but i think these may be reflectors, later early bays have them on the doors and rear panels these have bulbs in them, I think they come on with the side lights.

MArk

^^WHS^^

I think any imports that dont have them have probably had them removed & the holes filled.
Unless there was some law change lfor later models that didnt require them?

A quick search on thesamba classified seems to show most having them inc. some 79s.

Might be worth a check on Monday - the rears should be viewable in the battery tray area on each side.

Yep you guessed it - the one on monday hasnt got them!
Didnt notice til i compared with an another import, same year, same colour but with the indicators and when i started looking came accross some more without.

like you say, the majority imports had them so wondered if it was something simple!

Whats the benefit to removing them - and whats the things to look out for (is it the usual rust popping through?)

Legal feature for US market, I guess the reason some have them and others dont is down to different states having different legal requirements or the ones without were tourist delivery vehicles.

The same seems to be true of the small plaque that some US campers have on the front dogleg and others dont, and the reason lots of US campers dont have built in cookers (not legal in California apparently).

i have them on my bus, however the front are not indicators just reflectors and the rears are red running lights...they look cool 8)

Araon said:
WHS^^^ ditch em and go for the nice clean lines 8)

no way dude, running lights rule ;)

on a night when the engine is chugging away and the glow of the running lights illuminates the road behind.... :oops: wicked :lol:

Until some drink driver gets confused & drives into your van. :shock:

OK, this is unlikely to happen. :)

my '71 and '73 westys have them and a '77 I parted had them too , but they all are reflectors on the front and lights on the rear. A couple of '69s I owned had the round reflectors all around under the wheel arches.