Low profile tyres

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple

Reaction score
Hi all, i have brought a fosky adjuster and beetle rear shocks in an effort to lower the front before i lower the back, just thinking of tyres now, i will be using stock steel rims as i am skint but wish to put a lower profile tyre on, just wondered if anyone else has any preference with regards to tyre size cheers

Got 175/65/14s on my stock wheels, got them because they are commercial rated (michelin agilis 51s).
See here:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=626&highlight=

what markings denote a commercial fitment?

Im also looking for some low pro rubber to fit my stock 14" steels

Iv been put off by the 'scaremongers' saying i shouldnt use car tyres on a bus as i will crash and die!
is there truth in this or just an old wives tale?

im sure a modern v rated tyre is far safer than the tyres these vans would have left the factory on 40 years ago,look at the weight of some of the cars that run on say a v rated tyre and i think you might find your van fits that catogory :D

All tyres should have a maximum load weight on them (e.g. 500kgs), multiply by four (e.g. 2000kgs) and if your fully loaded bus weighs less then you're OK.
Obviously you should multiply by 3 if you have a Robin Reliant!!!

;)

My fronts are rated 600kg each, I thought the load rating was based on axles weights which are on the vin plate (cos most cars/vans arent 50/50 loading front to back?)
Commercials tyres I thought were indicated by the C at the end of the size that denoted commercial, as I understand it its to do with what the plies are made of, commercials generally have some or all steel plies rather than nylon which makes the sidewalls tougher?

The agilis 51s are 175/65R14C on the sidewall.

Link to Michelin site:
http://www.michelin.co.uk/uk/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=20060301182656

Hmm lots of I thoughts in there so I stand to be corrected :lol:

J&M, if you see this I'm still trying :(

Latest posts