Tyre advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The noise level thing is more of a I got new tyres noise if you did actually notice it but I really can’t think of any time, even with all windows open that I’ve thought Oh I can hear these tyres. Anybody ever wants to go for a spin in mine is more than welcome to. I’m in Bristol or at any of the shows. The handling thing, well I wouldn’t say it’s ever gonna win a TT or anything like that but it’s an old van. I do however have experience in following other vans on various roads and motorways and I’ve noticed with the sidewinds that mine will only move slightly in a sudden gust If the other vans also moved in that very same gust. We’ve been in a line with a few of us and mostly lowered apart from mine and mine only sways if the others are swaying too. And the ride quality as in comfy rides is exceptional as I believe that mahoosive sidewalls are an integral part of your smooth operating suspension plus I have full suspension movement on all four corners. As I’ve said on another thread , at three to five thousand miles per year, I doubt very much if my tyres tread will be mot fail time before I replace them due to the age. I’m thinking eight to ten years and I’ll be starting to think about new tyres for the age thing more than anything else and I’ll probably go for the exact same tyres again. Here’s how they look on in a couple of different guises.
The first pic is how it looks now, the other pics are from when I first popped them on.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,exceptionally pleased guys:cool:IMG_4261.jpegIMG_3133.jpegIMG_3120.jpeg

When substituting non-standard wheels and/or tyres, one needs to be mindful of the combined effects of tyre external rolling radius & wheel offset on the steering-offset (aka scrub-radius) which can adversely affect steering characteristics.

You are already familiar with some of the hazards of using tyres of inadequate load rating, including the distinct possibility that the motor-insurers would declare the insurance policy null & void, in the event of an incident, not necessarily involving tyres, but simply because the tyres were of inadequate load rating. This then leaves one open to prosecution for driving without valid insurance!

One case which really astounded me was finding a 1968~79 VW Type 2 in a carpark, which had a 185 R14 (i.e. 185/80 R14) tyre on one front wheel and a 185/60 R14 on the other front wheel, which would have been a decidedly illegal & dangerous combination!!! Feeling duty bound to draw this to the attention of the owner, I left a note explaining the hazardous nature of this situation.

When substituting non-standard wheels and/or tyres, one needs to be mindful of the combined effects of tyre external rolling radius & wheel offset on the steering-offset (aka scrub-radius) which can adversely affect steering characteristics.

You are already familiar with some of the hazards of using tyres of inadequate load rating, including the distinct possibility that the motor-insurers would declare the insurance policy null & void, in the event of an incident, not necessarily involving tyres, but simply because the tyres were of inadequate load rating. This then leaves one open to prosecution for driving without valid insurance!

One case which really astounded me was finding a 1968~79 VW Type 2 in a carpark, which had a 185 R14 (i.e. 185/80 R14) tyre on one front wheel and a 185/60 R14 on the other front wheel, which would have been a decidedly illegal & dangerous combination!!! Feeling duty bound to draw this to the attention of the owner, I left a note explaining the hazardous nature of this situation.
Yes. Nigel , that’s exacta mundo along my lines of thinking. I couldn’t put it quite so eloquently as yourself. :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,and all those extra very naughty people that have those silly space savers on too, they need a real good ticking off. :)

When I was lowered I had to let my insurers know the details of modifications , part of this was telling them the size of the wheels and size of the tyres fitted. They then accept the risk (or not) and then issue the policy. They wouldn’t then be able to nullify the policy on that basis.

It’s bit like MOT exemption, unless the company specifically say you must have an MOT to have valid cover, they can’t just make it up in the event of a claim.

Latest posts