Lowered bus on Red Funnel Ferries ???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey Sam

Reaction score
I'm off to the V-Dub island weekend in August and am using Red Funnel Ferries.
I asked them about problems related to loading and unloading lowered buses and they were a bit vague !

Has anyone with a lowered bus used Red Funnel to Isle of Wight and had any problems getting on and off ?
( My front bumper is 7'' off the ground so obviously the beam is a bit lower )

Same here, been the last 2 years and just some slight rubbage at Southampton.

we went last year and there was some real low ones, all looked and sounded ok

Thanks Guys, that's put my mind at rest .
I imagined my bus loaded with blocks of wood and scaffold boards etc just to get on board the ferry :lol:

If anyone's going this year I'll see you there !!

Cheers

Is this a top notch show? I ask because we came back from the Isle of Wight about a month ago, during our stay we saw the show advertised and talked about going next year as we though the island it's self was very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Its worth the trip in my opinion!

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

my old bus (late bay) had been lowered and the anti roll bar reversed so it was lower than beam, i guess to protect it.. anyhow, getting onto a ferry to go to le mans there was a vertical lip between the ramp and the ground which caught the anti roll bar and bounced me a couple of inches upwards! two weeks later said anti roll bar snapped at one end so i reckon i did it some damage! :lol: ...so be on the look out for a lip or edge as much as the steepness of the ramp!

this was about ten years ago and i now am sensible and drive a full height early bay.

Looks like it do-able but with a bit of caution.
Think I'll still pack some lumps of wood though - they're cheaper than an anti roll bar :)

There's not normally a problem with lowered vws our club use it regularly to get off the island it can depend on the tide as to how steep the ramp is but if you drive on/ off ramp at 45 degrees normally no problem.

stufer said:
There's not normally a problem with lowered vws our club use it regularly to get off the island it can depend on the tide as to how steep the ramp is but if you drive on/ off ramp at 45 degrees normally no problem.

Agreed, just approach the ramp joints at 45 degree angles and you should be fine...maybe just some light scrapeage. Hit the ramp head on, and you will certainly know about it! :grin:

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

This has been really helpfully, me and the family are going to the Isle of White in August, although not for V Dub Island and I was wondering what it would be like getting on and off the ferry…

Best pray for high tide!

Latest posts