lowering -one spline or two?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambadeluxe

Reaction score
Recently had the van lowered one spline on rear and front done to match (adj)
My last van was lowered two on rear and matched the same via adj on front but my question is this van seems to handle better but i would like it lower as per last bus but i encountered few few bump probs on the last one :( .

Without spending the earth how do i make the rear handle better on a two spline drop and does it need the arms notched to rectify the problem?

All advice welcome :D
Note on std rims at present but will have Carlton GSI alloys (should the tyres fits fitted soon with 205/65/15 tyres) if this would make any difference?.

If you fit GR2 gas shocks (probably stock height bay front ones, NOT stock rears as they will have less than an inch of travel!), notch the springplates and cut down the rubber bump stop snubber to leave the last (fattest) part in place it should ride like a magic carpet with a 2 spline drop.
BTW the horseshoe plates, whilst a worthwhile investment, do in fact increase the rear track width a little, or, at least don't allow the top of the wheel to camber in, so may create aftermarket wheel fitting issues (I had someone get in touch who had some and gas burner replicas wouldn't fit)

thanks for the replies guys.
how easy are they to notch and are there instruction on the web somewhere...... or is this part best left to the pros?
:?

ben

Try to make the notch replicate the shape of the upper casting on the torsion housing, but make sure to make all the edges/corners radiused, or it will be weak where the corners are. I'm sure there are pics on the samba or somewhere.

Something like this:

DSC00474.jpg

(Borrowd from Joval's Westy topic)

Latest posts