Main Beam Wont Turn Off - relay clicks but no change

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuF

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

After breaking my indicator/flasher stalk at Stanford Hall I ordered a replacement unit from Heritage
https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/211953513J/indicator-switch-including-housing-8-67-7-72/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The flasher portion broke inside and although I am fairly happy doing spannering electrical jobs are always a mare for me.
1970 LHD Westie!

When the stalk broke it failed with the main beam on although this is only an issue when the headlights are on
I have replaced the stalk by joining the wires up to the old loom to try and minimise the wiring faff - all the wire colours matched

My indicators work fine now on the new stalk and when it is is pulled to the rear I can hear the relay clicking but the main beam doesn't disengage
I have moved the fuse box out a little bit to gain access to the three relays - I ordered a replacement
https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/111941583AC/headlamp-relay-12-v-flash-dip-5-terminals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although this replacement doesn't fit into any of the slots under the fuse box?
Any ideas where I am going wrong?
Bloody hate electrical jobs! :shock:

Anyone able to provide me with a link to the correct relay?
There are three attached to the fuse board and I dont seem to be able to find any replacements? :(

Do you want to give my relay a try? Happy to have a look through the wiring with you at some point

That would be great mate - really not a fan of electrical stuff and if you could cast your eye over my wiring that would be a great help
Am home all weekend :D

StuF said:
That would be great mate - really not a fan of electrical stuff and if you could cast your eye over my wiring that would be a great help
Am home all weekend :D
Sunday might be a goer then. Hannah's birthday on Saturday so I'm pre-booked that day :) PM me your number and I'll drop you a text nearer the time

That new relay won't fit a 1970 fusebox if that's what you have. Sounds as though the original relay may have blown.

You can remotely attach the new relay with short wires though, it just wont plug into a 70 fusebox. I swapped mine for a 1971 fusebox, because the old one was breaking up, and that does accept the relay.

Mike - yep just realised after removing the relay I have installed that it is totally different to the one I have from Heritage

I am almost sure that this is issue as something is rattling around the 45 year old relay

Is there any chance anyone has one available or comprehensive instructions on how to connect the relay I have

Pics of the non-working relay
Part No 411 941 583A

I guess these are sealed units and cant be repaired?

Sorted the issue out today with the help of a good friend of mine who rewires aircraft and trains for a living!
Firstly we stripped the old relay down, cleaned the contacts and removed all the corrosion that was rattling around inside
Refitted it and after a bit of persuasion it freed off and worked perfectly

However that was the start of a loonnnggg day testing wiring - after sorting the relay we realised there was only dipped and main beam, no sidelights on the second pull of the headlight switch, no lights at all!
Front or back - appeared to be an earth issue as the fuel gauge was bouncing about!
Dash to pieces, steering wheel off and binnacle out - after much testing and hair pulling the wiring was sorted now have :
First pull of the headlight switch = Sidelights (LED)
Second pull of the switch = Sidelights and Dipped Beam
Flasher works perfectly when dipped beam is applied!

Result that I didnt need to replace the relay with the heritage item as would have been more wiring faff!
Having a beer now and ordering an indian - was long and stressful day!

Latest posts