master cylinders

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks906

Reaction score
hi all

having some breaking issues and have decided to change the lot

so both new front + rear kits ready to be ordered

just trying to figure out what M/C i need :?

my bus is a 1970 with wide 5 drums all round

now the reason for changing everything is
A. the pedal is needed to be double pumped to get a good pedal for braking (i know it sounds like air in the pipes but can garentee there is none.. i think.. read on)
B. when bleeding the brakes no matter which way i try once the backs are bleed up the pedal wont fully depress to bleed the fronts up (this has only come on recently an has never happened before, when changing beam,wheel bearings etc)

so i cant decide if im suppose to have this one

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Master-cylinder-LHD-RHD-T2-1970-only-No-Servo_act_shop.product_pID_145152_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbPageToLoad=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this one which is what i think i currently have

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Master-cylinder-LHD-RHD-T2-8-70-79-No-Servo_act_shop.product_pID_135929_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbPageToLoad=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they look slightly different but im not sure what the acutual performance difference or pros n cons to each one are nor do i know which is the one i need

cheers for any help

dave :D

when exactly was your van produced,

if the chassis number third digit is a 0 it's a 1970 (between 8/69 to 7/70) so you would need 211-611-021/T

if the chassis number third digit is a 1 it's a 1971 (between 8/70 and 7/71) so you would need the 211-611-021/AE or 211-611-021/AE/ATE (The ATE is a much better quality)

Hope that helps

Cheers

Alex

booooooooooooo its the expensive one :cry: :cry:

fingers crossed it works :)

is the thread for the pipes that go in the same? (like all the other male joints in the system?)

cheers

dave

Hiya
had a problem with my 1970 lhd microbus which had the first type master cyclinder fitted
these have a one way valve fitted to each outlet port which are suspose to prevent total loss
of brakes if one circuit failed. (if your running disks on front these have to be drilled through to allow fluid return)
the problem i had was rear brakes kept on slowly binding up due to not releasing presure back, (parked outside mums house on a slope after a run with handbrake on after a while bus started to roll down the slope as the brakes cooled off!! luckey brakes grabed enought to stop it before it hit the main road)
didnt like the price of that type so fitted the second type you have highlighted (GSF Supplied) this bolted straight into place as same size as pipe fittings.
now havent had a problem with the brakes since fitting brake pedal totaly differnat to before.
as to if the brakes fail all flex hoses and slave cyclinders replaced last year so only metal pipework left to do and they look visualy sound so that shouldnt be a problem for a while.

Latest posts