Monty the Red Campervan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P1040336_zps34e2b5c4.jpg

Is that a late bay mesh? Heritage and C&C do them and I'm assuming they fit without any problems. Which ones did you try before?

Hi, I like the earlybay tax disk holder you made! It looks a bit nicer than my old one.

The mesh in the middle is the new VWH one, it fit's in the grille really easy. The old one is from rackhams which was ok but did not really fit too well in the grille, and I prefer the mesh net look of the VWH one. I've bought other stuff from rackhams that's been ok but I never was very happy with this mesh. Both mesh's are for Earlybays.

Thanks for the compliments! If you are stuck for Christmas ideas here is a voucher off, just enter it at checkout " EB£1OFF "

Got the heritage grill, hopefully it will keep it clean in there.

Well it's been a while as van is tucked up for the winter. I've been mainly planning what to do next with the van rather than actually doing anything.

What I have done today though is solved my intermittent wiper problem! :p I saw this thread on the Samba which gave me the idea.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This came through the post;

pic of the unit

fitted - cable tied up behind dash (sorry for poor quality of pic)

cost me about £60 inc shipping. I have only tried it in the garage so far but seems to work fine. Fitting was easy as long as you remember which wires which. I have tried a couple of other DIY solutions which weren't that satisfactory, as they didn't work with the wiper system properly. The Hella unit looks good as well but there was some doubt whether it would work on an earlybay. According to JK who sell it the Hella unit it definitely will not work on an EB. So when I saw this one I thought I'd try it.

Operation is via the OEM two speed switch.

Can't wait to try it in the rain :lol: :)

link to website
http://revolutionelectronics.com/Products/vw-int-wiper/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike

That intermittent wiper looks like a nice mod Mike, I think I may get one of them. Also liking the look of that grill mesh, got the rackhams one as well and it isn't a great fit so good to know there is a decent alternative out there :D

Mike,

Very nice bus
Great thread
Great ideas and links to upgrades.

I'm going to buy one of these too! :mrgreen:

LV

That intermittent wiper looks like a nice mod Mike, I think I may get one of them. Also liking the look of that grill mesh, got the rackhams one as well and it isn't a great fit so good to know there is a decent alternative out there :D

Thanks Adam yes it should work great when I get out in the rain. The grille mesh looks a lot like the OG ones although IIRC they are metal.
That thread about the k*itchen= shithouse was the funniest thing I've read for ages, although from your business point of view its not ideal!!

Mike,

Very nice bus
Great thread
Great ideas and links to upgrades.

I'm going to buy one of these too!
:mrgreen:

LV thanks I like to post the links then people can make their own minds up.

Yep - great mod and bus 8)

Andy,
thanks for the kind comments and I hope your leg's better and your back on the van!

Took the van out today as I wanted to test the new intermittent module properly. It was good to get the engine started up again as its been a few weeks since I last started it up.
Very pleased with the unit works fine and is just what I wanted. The delay speeds are about 8/5/2 seconds, and in the light drizzle the 8 sec one was perfect. In light rain the 5 sec delay was good. :)

Thats one more job I can cross off the list, now onto the rest of them;
Seats
windscreen
rear quarter light
bumpers
etc....

Went for a short walk while we were out, at Wylam.

Hi Mike

Liking your post! I've put my Koni's at full rebound at the rear now and think this gives better stability. Half turn on the front and gives a nice comfy ride. What have you found works best for you?

The wiper switch has caught my attention, can you turn it from off to full on easily, like if a truck goes past and shovels water all over the screen?

Mesh grill looks good too, another thing on my to do list also.......

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bluesnailman said:
Hi Mike

Liking your post! I've put my Koni's at full rebound at the rear now and think this gives better stability. Half turn on the front and gives a nice comfy ride. What have you found works best for you?

The wiper switch has caught my attention, can you turn it from off to full on easily, like if a truck goes past and shovels water all over the screen?

Mesh grill looks good too, another thing on my to do list also.......

David

Thanks for the comments. I've got the Konis on fully firm at the rear; two turns, and one turn at the front. I thought that with the weight of my Westy van and at cruising speed, it would be best to have them on this setting and it seems very good so far. TBH its probably so much better with the Konis than the old shocks that any setting would feel better! It's interesting that you find it best the other way.

The wiper works by turning it once (the old slow speed position) which activates the intermittent. If you need to turn to a constant sweep of the wipers you just turn it again to the right and this will activate the fast setting or you can move it back to the first position , after leaving it there in the second position for a second.
There are instructions in this link
http://revolutionelectronics.com/Products/vw-int-wiper/13011-installation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't heard of anyone else with this unit on this forum so all I can say is that it seems fine at the moment, but I suppose time will tell how durable it is. I have no reason to think it won't last though. I drove the van about an hour on Saturday using the intermittent function and switching it to other setting etc, and it didn't go up in a puff of smoke!

Cheers. Think I muddled my words. I have same shock setting and agree this works best, my westy has plenty in it too..... Especially if I have the bikes sitting on the towball, which thinking about it ................ is just about every outing. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had the bumpers powder-coated as they were looking a bit ropey on the insides. Took the opportunity to change the look slightly from before.

back from powdercoating

front bumper iron with towing loop

new front look

the rear

new corner splash guards

Fitting the rear bumper was a bit of a bugger at first -couldn't fit the last corner splash guard. I loosened all the nuts off that I had done up tight already and I was then able to fit all the nuts and bolts, and then just gradually tighten them up in turn.

The new bolts for the steps on the front bumper wouldn't fit, they seemed to be the wrong size thread, so I cleaned up the old ones and re-used them instead. All the other bolts fitted ok.

I bought the bumper bolt set from Volksbolts.

The corner splash guards/ leaf trays were from Schofield's and were a good fit.

A good tip I picked up was how to get the paint out of the captive nuts on the splash guards. If you don't remove the paint you cannot get the bolt to screw in. Get a M8 bolt (that is the correct size for mine) and using a dremel cut along the side of the bolt through the threads. Do another cut on the opposite side of the bolt. This then creates a channel for the paint to flake off when you screw the bolt into the captive nut.

I used a new bolt after I had done this, although I suppose you could just use the same bolt.

I am pleased with the outcome and the new look :)

Latest posts