Monty the Red Campervan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
God write up on the do or locks. I did same and with a dusting of graphite everywhere it makes a huge difference. No more me walking around the outside to let my wife out the passenger door!

Had a few days in the Highlands around Loch Ness and then Skye, with family. Weather was very good, and the van was great over about 1500 miles altogether. The only issue was the f/o/s wheel which needed the toeing adjusting and has worn the tread out on the inside of the tyre. Sorted now.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few pics.

Dores Beach, Loch Ness

a few mile from Loch Ness

Got some use out of the sun/rain canopy. It was sunny for a bit then showers. :lol: (Glen Nevis campsite)

Sligachan campsite on Skye. Love the scenery!

The storr

Portree harbour

mike did you make the seat covers yourself or buy the ready made replacement ones, nice thread by the way and clear pics need to do my door locks have to let wife into her side from the inside...... :(

busdiver said:
mike did you make the seat covers yourself or buy the ready made replacement ones, nice thread by the way and clear pics need to do my door locks have to let wife into her side from the inside...... :(

Thanks mate, they are TMI ready made basket weave seat covers. There was a good sale offer on when I bought them from VWH.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

I was fed up with the newly covered driver's seat going 'boing' every time I got in and out of the van. The problem was two of the seat springs on the exit (left) side were worn and fatigued. So I have replaced them. It was the two middle springs out of the four. I thought about getting the springs from an old seat but then of course, they may be a bit worn also, and so I got some from an upholstery supplier on ebay.

The new springs are 4'' tall and 10 gauge. I first bought 9 gauge springs, which are quite a bit thicker than the OG springs but still fit when cut down a bit. 10 gauge (confusingly) are slimmer metal and more like the OG springs.

I replaced the front three side springs on each seat. There are four springs in total on each side.

I didn't replace the two rearmost side springs of the seat due to difficulties with the different position they are in compared to the front three on each side which are easier to access.

I also managed to find some proper clips for attaching the springs to the side of the frame, which I don't have ant pics of, but they look the same as the OG clips.

I am happy with the new springs which make the seat pad feel much more supportive than it did before. And quieter. 8)

old and new springs (pics are of the thicker 9 gauge springs I tried first, and later replaced with 10 gauge)

the problem with the old springs

new spring cut down with dremel.

new springs in position. I have since removed the wire, and used proper clips to attach the springs to the frame.

the seat.

As well as looking a lot neater, the seat feels more comfortable now, even after a five hour journey.

Not at the moment unfortunately.Plan to in the near future though,hopefully a Westy. At the moment have got a 1 owner for the first 50 years,full history from new 59 Golde Ragtop Bug in Black,in unrestored condition. Couldnt turn it down :D

You've got waaaay too much time on your hands Mike!!!., :lol:
You doing Dubs isn't Dales???

You got any spare springs left??
Kat's (passenger) seat in my bus has collapsed in the middle, not her fault of course, :shock: she'd kill me for insinuating otherwise!!!
But I'd like to get it fixed or replaced asap.

Lee C said:
You've got waaaay too much time on your hands Mike!!!., :lol:
You doing Dubs isn't Dales???

You got any spare springs left??
Kat's (passenger) seat in my bus has collapsed in the middle, not her fault of course, :shock: she'd kill me for insinuating otherwise!!!
But I'd like to get it fixed or replaced asap.

I think you've put in more hours than me on your bus! There's always something to do on them isn't there. Glad to see you are getting out and about in it.

Can't make Dubs in't Dales but hoping to go to Field of Dreams again.
If you're having a swapmeet soon I have two springs left over. ;)

Hi Mike.

Was great to meet you both at Busfest and Monty too. A cracking camper that got plenty of well deserved attention at the show! Great to see all of the work that you have undertaken and the holidays that you have enjoyed in your bus through this post :D

Alasdair and Kelly

Campervanman said:
Hi Mike.

Was great to meet you both at Busfest and Monty too. A cracking camper that got plenty of well deserved attention at the show! Great to see all of the work that you have undertaken and the holidays that you have enjoyed in your bus through this post :D

Alasdair and Kelly

Alasdair, nice to meet you and Kelly as well. Thanks for the comments. :D It was a good show again, I didn't get around to taking many pics this year of the line up, as I was chatting too much!

Your bus is really nice and clean- you could start a thread in the 'gallery' section if you haven't already. :)

Another vote for Dinitrol. I just sprayed it in all the box sections under the van using the excellent guide I found on the forum.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31729" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used this type :

It is quite runny, which is what you need for the inside of the chassis frame and also the sills etc. It dries after several hours, to a thick brown waxy substance.
Quite messy to do, especially when your on your back under the van :lol:
I am just glad I got it done, as I am not sure when it was last done. The only bit I didn't do was drill into the front inner valance as I couldn't bring myself to do it! I might be able to get to it from the inside?

Had to mop the garage up the next morning cause there was quite a mess. :shock:

Gratuitous pics of our recent trip of the van in Somerset. :mrgreen: We last came here 27 years ago. It's not really changed apart from there are a lot more caravan sites than I remember. Van got quite a few comments and sparked a few chats whilst on the beach, including a lovely couple who insisted 'Hitler designed these'. Until I pointed out that the first vans were from 1950!

I think it was driving on the beach that made me think about doing the underside of the van.

Cheddar Gorge

on the beach at Brean

Latest posts