Moose the '72

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the engine was fitted and got Moose back, here are a couple of before and after photos.
Engine090509.jpg

DSCF1250.jpg

I've started the 500 miles running in, I thought we'd sorted the petrol smell but no such luck :evil: I think it must be the filler neck that is starting to perish, as it only smells when the petrol sloshes round the tank going round corners. I had this problem on the Beetle then when I changed the breather and overflow pipe it was sorted, only problem now is that the engine has to come out again or is there an other way ??

can you not access the filler elbow with the engine in. there should be a "paint pot" type lid that you can pop off to gain access. i thought you could get to it this way. its not the easiest to remove, and you may not have much skin left on your arms, but i think its possible :)

Got my scatter gun out again and decided to fit the new curtains my mum made for us as well as trying to tidy up the headlining
a couple of before pics
DSCF1265.jpg

DSCF1267.jpg

Cheers, slowly is the right word :lol: my Mum is a dab hand with the sewing machine :D

It's been a bit of a while since any kind of update, so this is where i'm up to; the engine had to come back out to get at the fuel tank and then the fuel filler pipe was replaced and this seems to have done the trick now.
Scatshifter.jpg

I've also got round to fitting my Christmas present Scat shifter this has made a huge difference when driving.

Really good to hear you are out and about in the bus, no excuse not to join us in a bit of show camping.

And a bit of bling too! 8)

Hi Jon, Bus Types is penciled in, although the weather we've been having hasn't really been the best for using a van without any heat exchangers the running in is well on the way and the sink & cooker are plumbed in and working :party0051:

The running in is just about completed but was suffering from the infamous 009 flat spot with the standard "009" copy dissy that came with the recon engine, I was wondering whether the vacuum advance dissy on the beetle would fit and make much difference but as I had a genuine Bosch 009 in my spares box I thought I would try that first. I had also bought some quality bosch HT leads rather than the standard which hadn't been fitted.
First job was to check and set the valve clearances and only a couple of adjustments were needed then I fitted the genuine dissy & new leads, :shock: what a difference no flat spot at all and much smoother running, I had to reset the carb as it was idling too quickly now.
Is it the copy 009's that cause problems rather than the design of the 009 itself :?:

The 009 wasn't made to be used in a VW, though they can and do work, depends what carb(s) you use mainly. The copy ones are not as good quality, some fitted with one advance weight others the normal two etc. But if you are using a 34 pict 3 carb then the best distributor is the svda type, it should be the smoothest and most economical combination.

Gareth

Thanks for the info Gareth, mine is a fairly standard setup, 1641cc 34pict3 single quiet pack, but it does seem to run quite nicely :D

With a good forecast we wanted to make the most of it and went for a good run out to Aberdovey
ParkedinAberdovey.jpg

MooseatAberdovey.jpg

A lovely day and not too many people about, so we got a nice spot overlooking the beach ready to cook lunch with a great view
Sausagesonthego.jpg

About 80 miles without missing a beat on our first proper picnic trip after almost 2 years ownership :mrgreen:

Cheers , our local MOT tester is a top bloke and understands old cars and doesn't expect it to be like a 3 year old Focus. 8)

Made the most of the sunshine this afternoon and had a trip out to Ynyslas :D
054.jpg

Surprisingly not many people about today and didn't see any other aircooled although did see a few T4's & T5's

Latest posts