MOT and tax

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kee

Reaction score
Got interested when I saw an ad here, is ther same rules to older vehicles, concerning tax and MOT as for the newer ones in the UK?

Here i Sweden you only have to get through MOT once every second year, and no tax is payed for vehicles over 30 years! A great relief economically! The insurances is also a remarkable bit cheaper. If the vehicle is of 1950 or older year model, they're also MOT-free!

The rules here are a little more complicated...
Pre 1973 vehicles are tax free.
All vehicles over 3 years old must have an annual MOT (Ministry Of Transport) inspection (excluding some commercial vehicles; tractors, fire engines etc).
The MOT only relates to the year the vehicle was made, so a 1973 vehicle effectively takes the test as it stood in 1973 (for example, my '72 bus can have black/silver number plates - but a '73 van should have yellow/black as the legislation for yellow/black was introduced in '73).
Insurance is generally much cheaper as the insurance companies appreciate that real fans will look after their vehicles and (will probably) do less miles in them.
An MOT inspection every other year would be VERY welcome here in the UK!!!
;)

Latest posts