Mot - emissions, and rust treatment - newbie please help....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Currently looking for our first bus and had a couple of questions. Hopefully you knowledgeable lot will point us in the right direction.

We definitely want to go for an early bay, so it will be a tax exempt/historic vehicle - what is the score with emissions testing if 1) the bus has it's original engine and 2) if it has a newer and/or reconditioned engine?

Also, we don't mine the patina look (well i dont, the wife like's something a bit shinier and prettier - thats why she married me :) but are a bit worried by rusty panels. I get the underside treatments available, but, what about rusty body work up top. Can they be treated with something locally to stop rust spreading i.e. just treat individual patches to stop them rotting through over time?

Thanks in advance

Baz

Hello mate and welcome, a relative newbie myself so don't know about the emissions bits but I think the stuff to protect the exterior is Morris' Ankor Wax. Need to get a bit on my patina also over the winter. And waxoyl to protect the underside if my understanding is correct. I'm sure they'll be others a long to add their thoughts :D

You dont need to worry about emissions really, as long as it doesnt smoke excessively it will pass.
Mot inspectors will just assume your engine is the same age as your bus so no worries about recon engines.

Due to the year of manufacture the vehicle is exempt from the emissions test. They will do a visual check, basically if its doing plumes of smoke like the red arrows it'll fail (it'll also mean your engine is rather poorly!)
You can still fail on a knackered exhaust though.

The MOT testers manual is avaible to read online here, so if you are unsure on anything you can look it up. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the rust, it kind of all depends on the vehicle. If its orange surface rust as found on dry climate imports you can go down the ankor wax route, personally I'd avoid this if you plan to paint the vehicle in future. If a paint job is on the cards regular waxing with a generic wax found at the motor factors will help hold the rust back. If its wet rust thats blistered the paint and flaked it off then you need to start looking at getting the van painted, or at least sanding it back, priming it and applying a cheap topcoat as a temporary measure. Many people run vehicles in primer however this isn't a wise option as primer is pourous and won't protect the vehicle from the rain.

Thanks for the advice people - very helpful. Now all i need to do is find myself a nice ride........off to the for sale section again. Maybe i should place a wanted add.

Thanks again.