Interior work on my Bay...continued

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Reaction score
Despite the fact that is has rained for the last 3 months, I have been trying to get on with re-conditioning my van.
Last time we saw it, I had just finished work on the underside, having cleaned and re-painted the chassis and added belly pans for weather protection:

039.jpg

043.jpg

Now the van is back on her wheels, I have carried on updating bits and bobs.
Having insulated the new heater tube under the pans, I moved to the engine end of the heating system.

First I had to repair a small rust patch inside the van, where the heater tubes just break into the interior:

45.jpg

...and then I used some of non-rusty bits of the old heater tube to repair the stubs that extend into the engine bay - the ends of these had turned to rust where they joined the plastic joining bellows - as seen here a few months ago!

rust.jpg

Once painted, I added more of the thermawrap bubblewrap. I'll keep and eye on this, but I think it is far enough away from anything really hot to be ok.

046.jpg

I also wrapped the tubes as they came back together after passing over the torsion tube:

047.jpg

050.jpg

Then it was engine back in:

051.jpg

TOP TIP: As you can see, I keep a digi camera near me when doing these things! But can be really handy to either take pics to refer back to (especially where wiring is concerned!) or to see what things are looking like from a different perspective. Here are two examples. The first shows what the engine/gearbox join looks like behind the fan housing:

052.jpg

It shows the control arms for the air-flow flaps within the fan housing, details of how the tinware locates, accelerator cable tube etc etc

This second (unrelated) one is taken at the front of the van, reaching down in front of the handbrake and looking into the gap between the front panel and the floor. You can see the 'back' of the left indicator (low, obviously!)

070.jpg

The yellow crud is old waxoyl - the pink fluff is the remains of some loft insulation I had stuffed down there - removed now to replace with something better! It all looks ok there - a little bit of surface rust as a result of a small leak through the windscreen rubber - on the list!

Back to the rear of the van...and I am now moving onto the interior. I have decided to take all the interior out and re-paint the inside with the Combi-colour (Rustoleum) paint, after repairing any holes. I will be keeping the basic layout of the interior the same, with maybe a few tweaks and better materials.

044.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

...more of that loft insulation - all to be replaced.

I intend to insulate the interior for both warmth and quiet, hence the emptying of the interior - I need to insulate/isolate the engine cover. I tidied the floor, filled any old screw holes, and then gave a nice thick coat of light grey combi-colour. The colour roughly matches the grey the van was originaly painted inside.

059.jpg

I have stopped at the window line as I will do that bit more carefully later. Its a shame, but pretty much all of what you see freshly painted will be hidden by insulation and carpet! But this way, I know that there is a decent barrier on the metal, with no rust.

The paint is applied with a brush only, and goes on really well.

060.jpg

061.jpg

I shall be filling these cavities with insulation - more of that later.

Another job at the rear of the van was finally tidying up the 'hatch' that I had created with a chisel all those years ago in a French campsite, after my oil cooler fell off - another story!

engine-bay-whole.jpg

For years it looked like a sardine can.

DSC00254.jpg

More recently I had tidied it up, but had to finish the job now before painting.

056.jpg

I welded some angle steel around the hole to tidy the edges.

057.jpg

Incidently, the smaller hole just in front of the new 'hatch' was made by a previous owner who had obviously had to get access to the petrol tank sender from above. I used a bit of the old floor I had trimmed out to make a neat panel to cover this, which I will screw down - usefull to have the access if I need it in the future as it is there already.

The 'original' hatch cover I bought off ebay a while back now fits perfectly (VW added an 'official' hatch above the engine in later Bays - makes working on the engine SO much easier - especially taking the engine out/in)

058.jpg

All looking much neater now!

062.jpg

Then it snowed, so of course I took the opportunity to go for a drive!

055.jpg

053.jpg

054.jpg

Really wanted to go and play (van is fully on the road - MOT etc) but resisted until I have finished rust-proofing everything - a lot of salt around right now!

So....have now moved onto the cabin.

063.jpg

065.jpg

In the summer I replaced one of the arches - got loads of pics, and need to do a seperate thread on that some other time.

064.jpg

Ok - so the original original colour of the van is neptune blue. Long before I got it, it was painted another blue outside (and the white top) Then, I painted a lighter blue using Halfords spray cans - Lada Adriatic blue. You can see some original Neptune blue on the patch of floor inbetween the front seats.

066.jpg

Now I want to take it back to a more classic colour - neptune is too far away from what I want 'my' van to look like, but have chosen a similar colour. I went to a pant supplier near Heathrow to get the grey Rustoleum, and whilst there looked at a RAL chart. Bloke said they could mix up any colour there and then, for the same price as a 'standard' colour, so I grabbed the chart and made the big choice! Could have spent weeks chosing - but he said they had some 'base' blue left over, so he mixed me up half a litre of my preferred choice for a fiver - enough to try it out - a 'tester'.

Well, I liked the colour, so I've used this can to do the front. This will be the colour of the outside as well - I'll do the dash, doors and trim later - again, this is just the 'base' going down for rust protection - again, hand painted but with a great result. Goes straight on, no primer, great coverage. I have applied two coats so far. Don't really need more, but just need to check it isn't patchy when it has properly cured.

069.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

I'll take some better pic in the daylight if it stops sodding raining!

So - that where I am at the moment. Next stage is to start applying insulation - hopefully tomorrow. I want to get it done so I can rebuild the interior and get on and use the van. Hoping to add a few special features, making the interior mountain-bike friendly - but more of that later....

I shall be using flash tape (and some 'proper' sound deadening panels from Frost) and closed cell underfloor foam to cover the interior, with blocks in the side cavities...

...to be continued!!

phew.

great work and its amazing what a coat of paint can do to a bus.

where did you get the early solid centre belly pan? all i can find are lates.

ill move this to the gallery section.

So how are you planning to paint the outside? Presumably you will be using rustoleum there as well? The guys on the T25 forums have good results with rollering on the paint, and I had half a mind to do this myself. Deep down, though, I keep getting the feeling I should spray instead. Have any other earlybay peeps that you know of had good results? I know wishart did his in satin brown, but I would be keen to see how a gloss colour looks with a roller.
I wish the undearneath of mine looked as good as yours! :)

I love these rustoleum resto's, gives all those 10.000 £ 2K paintjobs a run for its money.
OK, it has a few drawbacks but you can't argue with 50 quid for a new life to an old bus.

I'm doing mine soon, also with an enamel paint. Pics to come. :mrgreen:

You're doing a lovely job, sir!

Ah - ok. Here it is!! Just spent ages trying to figure out where my thread had gone! Just a suggestion, but perhaps if one is moved, a PM to inform the OP? :)
I had intentionally put this in the tech section, as I saw it more as a potential guide than a gallery, and would prefer it there...but if it is supposed to be here, and people prefer it here, well then ok I guess. :| I se (now, I never look here!) that there are other 'build guides' here. I saw it more as a place to show once it had been finished!! Not complaining Johnny - now I now! :lol:

Yes, I shall be using the rustoleum for the outside. Very tempted to put a layer on now, for protection, then revisit the bits that need more attention when it gets warmer. I really want to use the van now, and not keep it off the road.

Took some more pics today, will post some updates in a little while!

Better views of the colour:

071.jpg

072.jpg

Now moving on to the insulation part of the job.

First, I am going to cover some areas with flash tape (used for roofing) -this is instead of expensive sheets sold as sound insulation for hi-end car ICE. Basicaly, all it is doing (in my use) is helping to stop panels buzzing or vibrating. Main use here is the first layer over the engine bay.

073.jpg

I am using flash tap from Screwfix. I got some 'generic' stuff from B&Q aswell, but this smells too much. This screwfix stuff seems pretty neutral. Although the engine bay may get hotter than ambient, I do also intend to put insulation inside the engine bay itself, so don't expect there t be any issue with eat melting the tape bitumen layer. You can buy a 225mm x 10m roll for about £14.

074.jpg

It is a shame to cover the nice new paint, but I'll never see any ofthis again, so want to be able to forget about it all once finished. I have started to 'fill in the gaps' in the corrugated metal over the engine bay itself. I will then put another layer over the top of all of this. I am aiming to reduce the ripple effect so that any floor I put above this will be flat, if you see what I mean.

075.jpg

I found that heating the tape a little bit in front of the 500w spot light helps mould it - bearing in mind how cold the ambient air isat the moment!

Inspiring stuff 8) - mines planned to be off road next winter for the interior so loving the detailed progress - will be interesting to see as it evolves - are you planning on re-using interior panels (door, quarters e.t.c.) or purchasing covered - or maybe buying blanks and covering yourself? Something I'm pondering so will be good to see what you end up doing!

Cracking job you are doing - I used the flashing for my interior, but have only done the roof so far - will the rest of the interior like you have once it is in a state to do....

Good work :D

no worries angus my fault really i should have pm'd you of course apologies, anything picture heavy goes here especially worklogs etc.. great resto so far :msn4:

i was wondering where you got the early centre belly pans btw?

No worries Johnny! :D I thought it had been deleted at first! Only found it after a search of 'my posts'! - I know now, and can see that this is where all the resto threads are!

Belly pans are from JK - the middle one is actually two common ones joined, if you see what I mean (as seen in the pics) - I riveted them together, and bonded all in using Tiger seal and then rivets - I didn't want to weld them on, so I can remove for access if required - at least I know what is under them right now. Little bit of trimming required, as one would expect, but nothing serious. I do need to drill some drainage holes on them though.

Got some Dinitrol to try and spray into all my box sections tomorrow - weather permitting :evil:
Also going to continue adding flash tape.

I bought some £5 panels of sound deadening, stick on stuff from Frosts to see what it was like - just slightly thicker flash tape really - not nearly as flexible. I am thinking of putting the flash tape all over the interior - floor and all - it goes on really well.
Then I will put down some thermawrap bubble wrap stuff, and also got some 6mm closed cell foam insulation from B&Q (like sleep mats) which I am also going to put down before the hardboard floor.

Obviously, more pics will follow tomorrow night! :)

Todays work.

078.jpg

Haven't got to cab yet - not sure if will do cab floor (on inside) but will do inside front panel, walk through and maybe see about putting some on underside, whilst it is all clean paint.
Screwfix stuff goes on really nicely, heat from a 500watt floodlight is plenty - few seconds softens it up nicely. Hairdryer around edges works well aswell. No aroma. Really tempted to do whole floor in the back, having done the engine bay...

077.jpg

076.jpg

Managed to get some more done today.
Flash taping pretty much finished.
Next I am putting a layer of foam - the foil covered stuff used for house insulation.

079.jpg

Although it shouldn't absorb water, I have covered all the cut edges with duck tape - just in case. This is 25mm foam. I bought mine from B&Q - 1.2m by 2m roughly. Plenty to do all I need.

080.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

Bit of a pfaff getting the bits behind the metal work nearer the rear of the side, but I'll only do it once, so....

084.jpg

Proof of the pudding - took a quick video, knocking the outside of the van where I had just added the foam - well chuffed with the result - should make the van much quieter (as well as warmer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAKyOmKfrG4

Great job well done 8)

As to the video, whens the sequel out :lol:

Nope - didn't need to - it wedges in pretty well. I haverun some duct tape along the joints, jut to stop then slipping, and used some foam 'wedges' to hold it all in. I could have used double sided tape, but itwasn't needed.

nope - didn't bother with waxoyl on the inside. As I had painted fresh with rustoleum/combi-colour, and am aiming to make the van waterproof (in terms of replacing window rubbers,which s where water was getting in - and through a hole in the wheel arch - fixed) I don't think it needs it - at least not in this location. At least I know it is all good underneath the foam - and indeed under the van itself as well, where it now has the extra protection on pans. I will do inside of doors though - BUT - not with waxoyl - smelly stuff, never sprays right. I prefer dinitrol, which sprays nicely.

Latest posts