My 1968 Microbus Deluxe...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tested out the lights, and they are great. A lovely clear light and low energy, so they don't chew the power from the battery.

Drop down table now installed.

Waiting for the upholstery for the bed and buddy seat, hopefully will have it within a couple of weeks.

Looking back over some old photo's and the changes made to date.

Enjoyed the journey to date and looking forward to the next phase...

Thanks Lee. When I got her, the original interior stank, found signs that previous years she was occupied by several families of rodents. But she scrubbed up well. Currently, modifying the interior, R&R bed installed and a few additions of the cabinets which will allow me to use her more as a Campervan. But I won't forget she is a Bus....

Finally managed to get the heater levers removed. Once I removed the radio, things got a little bit easier, that said it still took about 30mins to remove the little plastic grommets. Two flicked of with a flat bladed screw driver, and the other two got pushed through using a 6mm socket.

Now to find out what is up with the speedo, as the cable is working fine.

Have had a busy week. Along with many other things I sorted out the speedo, at last. I also got around to fitting in the electric washer pump -

Fitted it under the bottle, keeping the pump primed.

Changing some faulty dash lights, and putting back the original dash as I manage to get the speedo working -

Friday afternoon and putting the belly pan back on after giving it a clean and respray. Looking about underneath the bus when I noticed some fluid that had leaked out from the back of the wheel. I took the wheel off and discovered that the top brake cylinder had been leaking. New cylinder and set of shoes to be ordered. Hopefully will do this next weekend.

Brake cleaned. But OMG how long did it take me to adjust them with the star adjusters, I must have been doing something wrong. But managed to do it in the end.

Upholstery has arrived and looking good.

Need to think about getting the front ones done next, now where is that endless pot of cash (I wish)...

Since buying the bus I have always swayed towards working on the non-mechanical parts, until recently when I fixed the brake problem.
My attention now turns to the oil leak/s. Ever since she was shipped over from the States, the underside of the engine and transmission box have been caked in what can only be describes as 20 years of crap and oil. Although I don't see oil spots on the drive, indicating it's not too bad, it would appear that oil is absorbed into the layer of crap preventing it from dripping down and over running time it gently oozes out across the underside of the engine. Upon visual inspection it looks really bad and I feel bad not to have addressed this before. I figured now that if I clean all this off, I may be able to identify the concerning area's and get to work with replacing the seals/gaskets.

I recently read somewhere about the importance of the fins under the engine as these help with the cooling process and I now need to get down and dirty to clean her up.

It's a dirty job but worth it in my opinion.
On a clean dry engine it's easier to spot a problem sooner,
& if you do need to fix it on roadside, you don't wreck your clothes!!! :lol:

Latest posts