my 1970 earlybay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshaker

Reaction score
finally got some pics of my camper, nearly finished (not my work i have to admit) ..... a few bits to do mainly on the inside.

its gone from this:

IMG_0946-1.jpg

to this:

IMG_1872-1.jpg

the roof's been done since and it has a front bumper.

will eventually need a better paint job i think .... not got the funds at the moment.

Looks good, any pictures of the resto?

Needs a tickle with the lowering stick :D

aah, lowering will be on the agenda. probably keep as is for a bit ..... might then appreciate fully the lowering.

i do have some more pics, when i get round to uploading them to photobucket i'll put a couple up.

well, its been put together a bit ...... engine and exhaust supplied by the bloke building it. secondhand doors from the us. i think and engine lid was sourced. new glass all round i think. original roof refurbed with new bellows etc.

@hipshaker: What kind of hub caps are these to fit on the 71-up rims?!
Searching them for a long time!!!

Weby

i'll find out where the hub caps came from. can't imagine they are expensive or difficult to get though.

another pic, parked in my road the other day. still not completely finished:

CIMG3439.jpg

thanks.

the interior is going to be a westfalia continental from about 1974 (or so it seems from further investigation). i have a full width bed in already, just cushions to sort. and an interior like this (found the pics on the samba):

P2120137.jpg

P2120132.jpg

the cushions will be in my own material, a sort of beige colour to match brown/beige check curtains and a chestnut brown basketweave interior panel set from newton commercial.

a couple more pics today.

bed from behind:
CIMG3449-1.jpg

inverter, not fixed permanently yet:
CIMG3451.jpg

bed from front:
CIMG3463.jpg

a couple of the newton interior panels:
CIMG3465.jpg

dash, still to be finished:
CIMG3467.jpg

Hello hipshaker nice bus,thats what mine looked like when it left the factory in 72.At the moment it looks more like a road going version of your first picture .I'v got a mate who can weld very well who is going to start on ours in a couple of weeks.I would do it my self but my welding is the same as the set i did for you at Ryde theatre PANTS (still cant belive Kev stole my second set the little tinker). I didn't make the festival this year,hope a good time was had by all ,did you power the Hipshaker tent with that inverter :lol: I hope to make another hipshaker soon ,keep up the good work with the bus .

jim

how do. no problem with the set ... and it was good of you to be there to hold kev's hand ;)

the festival was good, busy in our tent as usual.

i'm hapy with the bus. i'm no expert and pretty useless at mechanical type stuff so relying on the chap doing the work.

once its up and running properly we're hoping to do a bit of a tour of the iow. i love it there!

another pic, of the engine this time and leisure battery. the engine is nothing flash, 1600 sp. just one he had already. runs nicely at the moment but i guess something that could be replaced in time if necessary:
CIMG3448.jpg

It's coming on great. 8)

Like the westy interia, great to have a double bed, fridge and cooker. We've just got the 3/4, a cool box and a portable stove.

The dog seems to like it as well.

well, its so far so good.

with interior i went for what i saw as the best of both worlds. i love the early bay shape and details .... but initially i went to look at a 1974 bay locally and it was a version of this interior. which i really liked. the one thing i probably would have had different would be a westy roof ... but i do like mine too.

While you're on about the roof did you have trouble fitting the new bellows ? I have been told that i can only fit the more expensive one with the see through panels .My roof looks the same as yours .(Kev's hand was very sweaty :D )

Latest posts