my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy

I thought that was an average day for you!!, I expected you to be busy drilling spot welds out rather posting pics up on here.

Keep up the good work mate :mrgreen:

sadly graham as good as the roof is, if you look at the pics. the rear of the roof has had more filler on it than your average uk bus has on its entirety. the only way that i think i can fit it is by joggling around my existing hole and grafting the missing section in from the new roof cut then aa skim of filler.

even by my usual schedule, this was a busy one :D

sadly no progress for exactly a month :( :( :( gutted. though i did put some new lights up in my workshop the other day so you can actually see what your doing in there now. then i did manage to squeeze a couple of hours yesterday on the bus

roof3.jpg

roof4.jpg

roof5.jpg

roof1.jpg

roof6.jpg

roof8.jpg

roof9.jpg

roof10.jpg

if only it was as simple as just bolting it on. i hope to start the roof swap at the start of nov if i can get my flat finished and rented out.

Come one - stop slacking :mrgreen:

Hope you can start soon as summer will be here before you know it ;)

if it is in spray for next summer i would be pleased. it would appear i dont really have the spare time to be embarking on this kinda thing. maybe when the kids are older. i must be mental trying to battle through this with a missis and four kids in tow. :lol:

andewilson said:
i must be mental trying to battle through this with a missis and four kids in tow. :lol:

If the kids are young enough, get them on e-bay - I'm sure Madonna would soon be bidding for them :oops: :mrgreen:

Andy

Just looked through your entire thread and you are doing some awesome work, the bus looks suberb....

I have a question, when doing the cab floor is there anyone who sells a complete front cab floor for an earlybay RHD or did you just want to do it with the repair panels. I'm looking for a LHD cab floor complete not been very sucessful yet, do you know of anywhere..?? or is it a case of repair panels for me too??

Keep up the great work

Ben :)

hi ben, sorry didnt get back but think it was the point when notification wasnt working. my cab floor was a bespoke one that schofields did for me as i stupidly cut too much out for repair panels as they only go in so far.
it was a complete floor done in two halfs all the way to the middle but i chose to keep the middle strip.
the guys at schofield saved my bus as i was about ready to chop it up at that point. :D

two months since i bought the roof. :(

its still not fitted due to me grafting till 9.30pm each night on a flat to get it ready to let out. :evil:

i have however got a few minute on it over that time but not a lot.

the other day i jetwashed the roof off and got it in the workshop before the weather turned baaaaaaad.
when i began stripping the headliner out i found that at some point over the years there had been a lodger. a good few pages of a map had gone into making a nest for a mouse.

roofstrip7-1.jpg

roofstrip5.jpg

the head liner is in reasonable condition but i will probably use it to cut a new one from it.

roofstrip4.jpg

roofstrip3.jpg

roofstrip2.jpg

roofstrip1.jpg

i know that the roof is actually off a late bay but it does face the right way and as a bit of a bonus i think that the hole is actually neater than the early bay hole as the late ones arent based on a sunroof bus so you dont get the gap where the sunroof used to drop in to.

Thanks for the reply, I've just ordered the same from schofields yesterday in two halves and the two front tubs aswell.....they are very helpful and press to order. Got a mate doing fab work and paint, got the engine 90% ready to fit just need the engine bay finished really.....

Keep up the great work and the thread, can't wait to see the finished bus.... :D

Ben

its been a good while since my last update but last week i actually got a few hours to lavish on the van.

got round there and it would appear that my friend alex who works as a courier had beaten me round there. and rather than work on his sorry looking caddy project at the back of the workshop he busied himself with giving my van a rather stealth looking vinyl wrap with pallet wrap.

nov3.jpg

nov4.jpg

nov2.jpg

nov1.jpg

after liberating my van from its moody wrap i then tapped out what seemed like loads of m6 holes in the back of the van to secure all my hatches in place.

nov13.jpg

nov10.jpg

nov8.jpg

nov23.jpg

nov15.jpg

them over the weekend i decided to tackle a repair that has been scaring me for the past few years. fill it with bondo like the po or do it properly? well ive had the cut from a meb van hanging around for a while now so got tucked into this

nov9.jpg

nov7.jpg

nov14.jpg

nov5.jpg

glad i cut it out as there wasnt much of it left

nov12.jpg

cut the new bit to size

nov11.jpg

nov16.jpg

nov22.jpg

nov21.jpg

nov17.jpg

nov18.jpg

nov19.jpg

nov6.jpg

all primed and ready for prep. all this now means that i only have the one job left to do.

if i get round there this week i will begin cutting up my new roof and getting a bit of practice with the roller joggler i got from frost.

Nice work on the repair piece :D

Love the van in the wrap - had trouble seeing the van at first :shock:

Just joined yesterday, and spotted the thread and spent a good hour reading through. I am so impressed by what you are doing and love the wrap, better than a paint job!!

cheers guys. been round this week picking away at the replacement roof. i want to retain the b and c pillar bows from the replacement as these are glued in place and i dont want to bend the roof ripping them off. that and the fact i only had the b pillar one on my bus due to dandbury brutally removing the c bow all those years ago.

i have been picking away at the replacement roof underneath the where the bows are mounted so i can neatly fit the complete lot to my bus and it will look og

ive also been practicing with the roller joggler to get some skills before i right my bus off :shock:

should have the roof graft section ready for fitting after the weekend.

Latest posts