my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roofs looking good on it new home :mrgreen:

http://www.nosvw.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tonight i went round to my tyre man gaz who is king of the tyre stretchers to get a few recent purchases fitted to some of my rim hoard.
heres a few pics. ant mate, some of these are crying out for red banding blue banding, white banding. etc

when i finnally get the van on the road i may need a bulk purchase :D

dec48.jpg

dec47.jpg

dec411.jpg

dec49.jpg

dec410.jpg

dec411.jpg

dec412.jpg

then back in the hoard till the bus makes a move

dec413.jpg

dec414.jpg

dec415.jpg

dec416.jpg

dec417.jpg

dec418.jpg

back to the roof tomorrow and get stuck in rather than come up with as many ways to put it off due to bein sh#t scared of cutting into it :D

He certainly does :lol: :lol:

plucked up the courage tonight to remove the section of the roof i want to graft into mine from the late westy roof

graft1.jpg

graft2.jpg

graft4.jpg

graft3.jpg

graft5.jpg

cleaned the feet up on the bows and primed ready for weldin in place on my bus

graft6.jpg

graft7.jpg

should get my roof joggled over the weekend and begin plug welding it in

well, didnt get much done on the van over the weekend due to the bloke who has spent ages putting off finishing rendering the front of my house, gave me one weekend to fully paint the house and replace the gutters and drainpipes before the scafold was taken down :evil:

needless to say the scafold is still there :evil:

i did get round there tonight however to start trimming my hole :shock:

rfprep1.jpg

62mm up from the fold line above the gutter to match up to the 50mm from th line on the graft section which should give me a 12mm joggle.

rfprep3.jpg

rfprep4.jpg

rfprep2.jpg

rfprep5-1.jpg

thats the passenger side finshed ready for the joggler. just the drivers side to do then a bit of trial fitting to get the measurement for the two ends

You get my respect for even trying this conversion 8)
i would love to do something like this to mine in the future (might also save me some money instead of having to buy a westy :lol: )

got a few hours on the van over chrimbo. a full day on new years eve which was a rarity. heres a few pics.

jog3.jpg

jog5.jpg

jog8.jpg

jog6.jpg

jog7.jpg

jog4.jpg

it was bloody cold yesterday. five layers of clobber and still bloody freezing

jog12.jpg

jog10.jpg

jog11.jpg

jog13.jpg

jog14.jpg

jog15.jpg

jog16.jpg

note to self. dont let your mind wonder whilst wire brushiing your joggling

jog17.jpg

all joggled and scrubbed ready for the final fit

jog18.jpg

jog19.jpg

jog20.jpg

hopefully i should get it welded tomorrow if i can.

mulling over seam welding the joggle line once i'm done plug welding to prevent the requirement for a load of filler.

Bloody hell Andy, top work as usual. Looking forward to seeing the finished product :mrgreen:

the original and quite frankly very pesimistic unveiling plan was stamford hall 2010. i think i blew that one :(

new pesimictic unveiling plan, stanford 2011. but happy with any show on the 2011 season.

i would be happy just to get a roling empty shell on the road for then, then carry on the build as i go. that would allow for a decent shake down time before comitting on interior etc.

spent the afternoon round the workshop. and got the welding tan to prove it.

went to machine mart today and had to buy to packs of htree to get a pair of these boys

rfwel8.jpg

and did this

rfwel1.jpg

rfwel2.jpg

rfwel6.jpg

rfwel7.jpg

rfwel9.jpg

rfwel3.jpg

rfwel4.jpg

hopefully i should get a few hours round there tomorrow and it should be done. danbury?

I'm in the westy crew now!

albeit a fake one :oops:

cheers guys, sadly i payed the price when i got up this morning. due to having a clamp in one hand and welder in the other i went for the age old method of squint eye spoy welding. due to the sheer volume of welds my right eye took a little too much tanning

spot the difference

left eye

Image057-2.jpg

right eye

Image056-1.jpg

Image059-1.jpg

ouch!!!! it hurts and i look like a prat

Shouldn't laugh ( :lol: )

Whoops, couldn't help it......

Some of us just never learn - hope it gets better soon as it looks painful :( :(

Latest posts