my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look forward to hearing it run Andy, it's looking sweet on the floor 8)
Whats the ground clearance like to the rad?

ground clearance doesnt look too bad. i might wind it up a bit as its this low with nowt in. imagine what it will be like with all my tat on it.

did a bit on the bus tonight. to get it ready for saturday

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

then finnally managed to get the fourth space saver i have been after for ages
and wasted no time in chopping the tyre off it ready to fit a 175 55 15 ive had sat waiting for it

DSC00341.jpg

today was the biggest day my van has had in four years :D

after fours years of giving it full skeletal transplant, a skin graft of about 30% of its outer skin, complete heart transplant, today out came the paddles. 1.5 hours of head scratching, easy start, and crossed fingers.

andy013.jpg

andy012.jpg

andy017.jpg

andy011.jpg

andy018.jpg

after half a can of easy start, glow plugs, and constant starting. we decided to use the air line to blow out the fuel pump and this came out

andy020.jpg

me thinks the last guy who ran my engine was burning the remnants of his local chippy :lol: . i do plan to do something along these lines in years to come but today this was bloody annoying :evil: . as soon as i got this lot out of the way it satrted up with what was the smelliest smoke i have ever breathed and really ruioned the pasty i was eating at the time :(

and i also took a bit of footage. its my first time so it might not work too well

[youtube]fU8dvDbE7t8[/youtube]

[youtube]StalIU09xIM[/youtube]

[youtube]9mAbSrObEC8[/youtube]

[youtube]hUlger0ul6I[/youtube]

Excellent :) bet you're well chuffed! Got to see this conversion. I was going to go down the T25 conversion route, but looking at what you've done is making me think again! Cheers, Nick

Holy smoke :shock: (especially the 3rd video ;) )

Sounding good by the 4rth video 8)

cheers guys. engine, box, shift rod etc all now back out or the bus ready for one final flip in a week. just to check if ive forgotten anything

what a massive milestone mate - you've got to be chuffed with that!

awesome progress and standard of word as per usual.

quick question mate: the body rollers you use, are they the basic rollers that cjautos sell? can you roll your bus on your own or does the higher centre of gravity cause the bus to roll onto its side with a bit of a bang? or do you need a feind or two to gently lower it once it starts to roll?

NaFe

bit of progress on the van.

all moving bits now stripped back out of it

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

exhaust system heat painted ready for wrapping

DSC00328.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

spent a week or two trying to get the sliding door to work :evil: it would appear if you change the three sills nothing wants to work again.

add to that my sliding door gear was a bit buggered, i was never guna get it working

DSC00325-1.jpg

DSC00320-1.jpg

DSC00324-1.jpg

however after spending a while hunting for the bit i found a completespring and u peice mech on ebay that i won for £11 :D and complete locking mech that replaces my broken one for a fiver :D . who says bus bits have gone sky high. so last night with a lot of banging, rubbing, grinding etc

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00344-1.jpg

after a bit more tweaking it sat even better than in the pix. i was well impressed as at times i was close to givin it a right boot :evil:

shoild be going over on its side again this weekend. to run some pipes and then strip off all the crap por 15 i painted on it.

You just reminded me I need to restore my sliding door mechanism.

andewilson said:
spent a week or two trying to get the sliding door to work :evil: it would appear if you change the three sills nothing wants to work again.

andewilson said:

shoild be going over on its side again this weekend. to run some pipes and then strip off all the crap por 15 i painted on it.

You don't rate POR15? I was going to cover the chassis of my bus in the stuff with a topcoat of stone chip :shock: but if YOU don't recommend it I may have to rethink... :(

the sliding mech i bought was in good condition just covered in solid grease and the twosprung loaded hooks on top were seized solid. it took me about twoo hours to clean it up and get it working. when you do yours, if any bits are broke or worn jk do most bits but they dont do any of the little springs, which are pretty much the bits that brake :evil:

as for por, i felt that you have to jump through hoops for it using metal ready and cleaning the metal up etc and it still peels off in some areas. it is also very heavy paint so drags and drips like a bitch. £100 i wish id not wasted. i have heard great stuff about rust bullet though.

Latest posts