my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its not too bad. it just looks a bit like milk rolling around the inside of the tyre. i suppose that the tyre wouldnt be usable when you'd squirted it in.

nothing takes up less room than my aa card :D

had a rare oppertunity to get on the van today. these moments are becoming rarer by the week.

i know that its not the most popular choice but my bus is going down the (darkside) i spent the day fitting these

rad9.jpg

rad10.jpg

rad11.jpg

rad7.jpg

the initial plan was to fit two full sets of range rover p36 fans but after having a fiddle decided on just one pair

rad8.jpg

rad12.jpg

rad13.jpg

rad14.jpg

decided although the four fan setup would be great when running, it would probabl stop air flow in normal running and end up kicking in all the time.

two fans should be less busy and i now have a spare set just in case.

That looks very professional 8)

Where's this being strapped too then (probably told us, but can't be bothered looking back through your post :lol: )

managed to get a full day on the van today. want to get the engine started and tested soon so i can move on to other things

here's a few pics on the progress

rad15.jpg

rad16.jpg

rad17.jpg

rad18.jpg

rad19.jpg

rad21.jpg

rad22.jpg

rad20.jpg

rad23.jpg

rad24.jpg

rad25.jpg

rad26.jpg

rad27.jpg

rad28.jpg

rad29.jpg

rad30.jpg

rad31.jpg

rad32.jpg

rad33.jpg

rad34.jpg

rad35.jpg

just got to order pipes, bends, metal grill to protect the rads etc then its time to get the engine started :D

WOW :eek: - nice bit of fabrication going on there ;)

Looking forward to the next installment :D

pushing on with the van between vowo and the easter weekend when i will be in the father in laws caravan for four nights. should be a nice rest and a chance to finish off the ice instal in the t4 as ive now sourced all the bits for it on ebay.

back to the van

welded some stainless steel bearing hinges to the rads

rad44.jpg

rad36.jpg

rad37.jpg

rad42.jpg

rad43.jpg

rad48.jpg

finnally found my pop riveter

rad45.jpg

bent another sheet of ally to make the lower scoop

rad39.jpg

rad41.jpg

rad40.jpg

tried it back on the van

rad38.jpg

then welded on some brackets

rad47.jpg

rad49.jpg

rad50.jpg

rad52.jpg

rad51.jpg

temp held in place with welding wire but when finally in situ i will have to cables inner and outer made that will run up to my dash. these will be connected to the no longer required heater levers on my dash. this should give me a two inch adjustment of the bottom flap when im cruising around town. then drop it down for a romp on the motorway

rad46.jpg

also happened to be passing a local metal shop the other day and dropped in to see what was in their skip ;)
ten pounds later into the lads coffee kitty and ive got three lengths of 33mm steel tube. now how lucky is that

rad53.jpg

found a decent supplier of silicone pipework on the web. think im going down the moody black route rather than the motorsport blue pipes. should get all coolant hoses and boost pipework for the charge cooler for reasonable money then should get it topped up and started

a little experimental at the mo as i dont know how well it will bend due to me not having any bending equipment. it will be a mix of solid metal pipe running along the rear chassis with a little bend in it. then silicone over the torsion tube. back to metal through the rear cross member and into the rad box through a small silicone section..

im in two minds about trying to get the box to sit higher up. if i channel a strategic dent in the top, it will go up another 10mm. if i go for bespoke rerouted handbrake cables and clutch cable it would go up another inch and allow for extra lowering 8)

cheers johnny. the adjustable flap and air assist shocks should see me clear most of the speed bumps where i live. it needs to be usable. in years to come i am sure that air ride will be cheap and the norm and we'll look back and think how did we get on without it, but for now i cant justify £2k on top of what i have already spent on suspension.

andewilson said:
...im in two minds about trying to get the box to sit higher up. if i channel a strategic dent in the top, it will go up another 10mm. if i go for bespoke rerouted handbrake cables and clutch cable it would go up another inch and allow for extra lowering 8)

I'd definitely get at high as possible if you can - it'd be a shame to catch that lovely aluminium on a sleeping policeman!!

;)

Agree - needs to be as high as you can.

Nice fabrication again :mrgreen:

cheers for the compliments lads, ive been totting up what i need to get it piped up. its guna cost about £170 in silicone hosing including all boost pipes to charge cooler so might have to come in two chunks due to funds unless someone buys my stereo gear :D

mr dubscum, no this aint what i do for my day job. i am the maintenence manager at the holiday inn at junction 25 of the m1. i spend my days cleaning grout, re sealing bathroom, and giving fire training to staff members who dont want it :D .

however if all goes well i should be building a new workshop soon so watch this space Dubworx may be open for business in the next few years. knocking out a few jobs for the local vw crew

cheers johnny. they looked at me very odd when i got on the plane with a 165 45 15 tyre as hand luggage as only one of them fitted in my suit case. :roll:

on the van i have hit a bit of a wall, a shortage of ready cash means that i have no play money for the van and since my bonus at work came in £1.5 light things are a going to be a bit slow till i get the vans spray money back together.

as my bus had rotted away everywhere, the accelerator linkage was useless. after having a look at what repair kits there are about for them i decided to have a go at improving on the original theme.

used a bit of large 10mm thick angle iron i had around and made a little l shape

aclin2.jpg

aclin1.jpg

drilled 10mm and 6mm holes

aclin4.jpg

after having a sleepless night about where i was going to get the bush from to rotate the linkage on. i went to work the other day and discovered this on my work bench. it is basically what is left over after fitting a new door closer to a door at work

aclin3.jpg

aclin7.jpg

trimmed and welded in place

aclin6.jpg

fitted a 6mm uniball end i got from ebay

aclin5.jpg

aclin8.jpg

i am now just waiting for a 6mm stainless threaded rod to arrive from ebay that will link to the uniball on the accellerator pedal. i can then do a little tweaking, fit the stop for the linkage then run the cable.

Latest posts