my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hurray! Great to see you back buddy. Man you have been working hard, house looks great.

Good luck with getting back on that bus.Still haven't done mine yet either if it makes you feel any better, haha.

😂 your bus looked great, and the mods you were doing were pretty cutting edge.

I think I have changed along the journey. I wish I'd not strayed too far from the original version design (tho my bus will see the road as i originally intended)

I think I will embrace an old school, more original interior completion.

I am looking forward to getting it home 👍

Time to re invent the thread. its only been about six years since I got to work on the camper.

its not been all work and no play, but I will admit the camper hasn't got a look in.

this is now complete though.

And this is now its contents

its nice to have it home.

in the past few weeks I have started sorting through parts etc that have spent years tucked away in the army tent I had.

a lot of it has come through unscathed, others not so. the bus still looks good though after all that time. and on a plus point I think that the paint should have hardened nicely since its respray about 7 years ago.

I had to go into work all weekend just gone. the bonus of it was I was only there to support some contractors we had in. which gave me time for this

in an effort to trim things down and speed up the bus build I decided to sell a lot of my parts hoard. the original plan was to make two full sets of bumpers. one set with deluxe trim, one set with over riders, not too sure which looks best so amassed a load back when I was show attending.

I decided to go for just one set and sell the rest to fund their spray job, then after a chat with Nelly (who sprayed my bus) the plan is back on for the two sets :lol: :lol: Nelly's passion for all things car related is infectious.

the race is now on to prep bumpers, irons, steps, splash trays, over riders etc. I am hoping the more time I spend working on the bus, the more my passion will switch back from house related DIY back to bus related passion. though I have grown up a little since the bus build started, the huge stereo build is out, the 15 sets of wheels is out :lol: :lol: though I still have a few sets for it that avoided the cull :lol: :lol:

Cheers guys, we are the three slowest bus renovators on here lol.

I actually spent the night in the garage tonight.

Wired up my ramp and got it working. I knew my bus would get moving in 2018, sadly it's just in the vertical plane.

I also started opening up some parcels I bought 8 years ago tonight. It was like Christmas, I didn't even have a clue what was in them.
Fire extinguishers, charge coolers, window rubbers etc. My blue bin is now chock full of cardboard. Ha

andewilson said:
Cheers guys, we are the three slowest bus renovators on here lol.

I actually spent the night in the garage tonight.

Wired up my ramp and got it working. I knew my bus would get moving in 2018, sadly it's just in the vertical plane.

I also started opening up some parcels I bought 8 years ago tonight. It was like Christmas, I didn't even have a clue what was in them.
Fire extinguishers, charge coolers, window rubbers etc. My blue bin is now chock full of cardboard. Ha
:lol: So true :roll:

I was the same, when rummaging through boxes I had not touched for years. Sometimes you find things you were looking for weeks/months/years ago - I will have loads of stuff to sell at the end of this marathon rebuild :msn4:

Looking forward to your updates.

gninnam said:
I was the same, when rummaging through boxes I had not touched for years. Sometimes you find things you were looking for weeks/months/years ago - I will have loads of stuff to sell at the end of this marathon rebuild :msn4:

:lol:

Right on, I have lost count of the times I bought something, then either forgot I already bought it or could not find it and had to buy another, then after you have installed the part, you find a brand new one in the packet. :roll: :oops: :lol:

Just read the whole thread start to finish, you have been doing such a good job on the bus and the house
Wasn’t even looking at the dates till you started talking about it but so glad your back on it. Keen to see more

Jealous of that garage!! Look forward to seeing progress updates on the van 👍🏼

cheers guys.

The cost of the garage was high sadly. had to sell my baby to afford the build.

I figured if I had to do it bit by bit it would never get built.

story of my life. build my way up to a nice motor, and my house consumes it lol

all's not lost though. i've worked my way through a few motors since the Porsche went (all vw related) from a caddy box van, to a slammed polo dune that my son now owns. ending in my current daily

needs a good whack with the lowering stick. maybe this weekend. if I can fit time around the work on the bus

well. I've been on the van a bit this week. more bumper stripping.

since the bus has been laid up for 6 years its collected a bit of grime. not wanting to give it a full soap down, I used a damp micro fibre cloth to shift some of the dust, then gave most of it a polish with some MER.

here are some pics

many boxes of bit to go through

got my ramp wired up and dared to lift the bus off the floor

this weeks work has been a little tougher. in hind sight maybe I should have trial fitted the front screen due to the amount of work I did on its opening. sadly I sent it to spray without doing it. this has been in the back of my mind for six years.

added to the fact that I bought some C&C deluxe window rubbers back in 2011. it added an extra level of stress. wanting to fit the original 47 year old screen added an extra bum twitch.

after about two hours cleaning the screen. someone in the past has completed spray work on the bus, over spray and welding/grinding spatter took a lot of getting off with a Stanley blade.

took about an hour to fit last night with my son helping. well chuffed and inspired

Great job with getting the screen in.
Like your daily. I have one to but in black and lowered with coilovers. Love it :)

Latest posts