My 1971 Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padwah

Reaction score
Well after two, or more, years of lusting after a bay window and being glued to the classified on here, VZi, the samba etc. I've finally got myself a 1971 Westfalia! After reading many of the threads on here I'd like to say that I did all of the work myself but I didn't, that was all thanks to Gary at Cool Campers a short trip down the road from me in Bournemouth.

It was originally a US van that looked something like this before it was shipped across the pond:

244178241112_0_BG.jpg

Not much had been done to it when I saw it other than removing the spare wheel from the front panel:
IMG_1508.jpg

I don't know too much about early bays but I've got a Karmann Ghia and owned a beetle in the past so I went all over the bus having a good poke around for any tin worm and was pleasantly surprised to find it only required a new battery tray where the old battery had been leaking and a small patch on one of the sill closing plates, the rest of it was all original metal. So other than that all it needed was a little bit of a tickle to straighten out the front end and the body work was sorted. I was going to have it resprayed in it's original colours but after a bit of discussion settled on Sea Blue and Blue White so now it looks like this:

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

The interior is pretty much stock and in surprisingly good condition, however I did have the seats retrimmed by a local company than, in my opinion, look the dogs bollocks!

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

I was also lucky enought to get a seventies awning from a friend of mine that only cost a pint of ale and a glass of wine!

IMG_0299.jpg

However, it didn't all go smoothly. When we got the van back to my parents house we discovered that the car shelter is too small so me and my Dad spent the next day taking the roof off so we could park it in the garden! And, annoyingly we're still waiting for the DVLA to get it registered so I'm restricted to driving it backwards and forwards for two meters in the back garden :lol:

I don't think I'll be lowering it just yet as we've just raised the roof on the car port so that we can get it in the garden! They're VW colours but they were originally seen on splitties, but it's a really sweet combination so I couldn't resist it :)

Thought that it's about time I updated my gallery pictures as quite a bit's changed on the inside of my van since I bought it. My Dad and I made and fitted a parcel shelf to house the speakers for my stereo:
IMG_0354.jpg

And we mounted the tweeters in the fresh air vents, I think there's probably enough fresh air rattling around the interior as it is:
IMG_0356.jpg

We decided that we'd convert the US hook up so that we could use it here in the UK. Or rather I decided that my Dad would convert it as I don't really fancy touching the electrics! The previous owner had already cut a hole in the side of the buddy seat so we decided that we'd fill the hole with a twin socket and place the fuse box inside the seat and hide teh wiring behind the side panel.

So, first things first we stripped out the interior and stuck it in the garage, for some reason it now takes up more than twice the space!
IMG_2299.jpg

Whilst we had the interior out I thought I might as well sort out the floor as the lino had quite a few tears and the plywood looked like it had seen better days. So up came the floor:
IMG_2302.jpg

It was all solid bar some surface rust which soon came off once I attacked it a wire brush and some sand paper before it was treated to two coats of satin white rustoleum. It's very white and it does stick out against the original paints but it's gonna be under floor and it should keep the rust at bay for a few more years:
IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

It was then on to making the floor and the new side panels. Here's my Dad tracing round the original floor:
IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

With the floor and the new panels cut to size it was time to check that they would actually fit, thankfully they all fit in to place perfectly. Probably more thanks to my Dad than me!
IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

Knowing that everything fits it was time to re-tile the floor. I was going to get some tiles from MadMatz but in the end I just went for some cheapo ones from B&Q. And whilst they do look good the actual printed squares aren't all the same size so the lines don't always match up. Fortunately the worst bits will be under the seat, plus your eyes sort of adjust it anyway:
IMG_0013.jpg

We then set about varnishing the side panels and fitting everything to the van, I say everything there's still a garage full of furniture but I think that can wait until next weekend. Until then here's what it looks like:
IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

looks very nice.

and i might be in a minority here but i'm liking stock height very much at the moment.

froggy said:
Liking the floor, did you use lino or tiles?
What size ply did you use? 9mm?
They're just cheapo tiles from B&Q, the tiles themselves are pretty good quality and seem pretty hardy but the patterns are a bit erratic.

I can't remember off the top of my head what thickness of ply we used, when I took the original floor up it was made of two sheets of ply which we replaced with a single sheet of the same thickness.

hipshaker said:
looks very nice.

and i might be in a minority here but i'm liking stock height very much at the moment.

Me too but it does feel a bit wobbly and it's horrible in a cross wind! I've been toying with fitting a 2" Red9Design coilover kit, especially with the forum discount, but I might just look at repacing the suspension parts to make things a bit more stable.

Well, managed to get most of this finished off last weekend, fitted all of the side panels with new ply wood, laid the floor, refitted all of the interior and rewired in the electric hookup to a UK RCD unit and twin plugs:

bus2006.jpg

bus2008.jpg

bus2009.jpg

bus2010.jpg

And as I've not got any curtains fitted up some frosted glass sheeting to the window behind the wardrobe:

bus2005.jpg

Next up is to fit some curtains, re-upholster the rock and roll bed and buddy seat and make a new cab mat out of some left over carpet!

Nice van - like the front panel ;)

Liking the interior too, looking very professional - any chance I can borrow your dad to do the interior of my van :mrgreen:

Nice Bus Dude, tidy inside too. Like the way you've kept it pretty original with a touch of individuality :mrgreen:

gninnam said:
Nice van - like the front panel ;)

Liking the interior too, looking very professional - any chance I can borrow your dad to do the interior of my van :mrgreen:
Haha, I'd say yes but Leeds is quite a distance and he doesn't travel that well!

windsurfer said:
Nice Bus Dude, tidy inside too. Like the way you've kept it pretty original with a touch of individuality :mrgreen:
Cheers dude, I don't want to change the interior too much as the westy interior just works so well. Thinking of making a new cabinet to replace the sink/cool box unit but not too sure yet as I haven't found any matching veneer yet.

Been doing a bit of work on my van recently and thought I should update my thread with a few new piccies. The original mustard interior was getting a bit tired in places and the front seats had already been re-upholstered in cream vinyl so I decided to recover the bed and the buddy seat. I found a set of covers on the samba, which it turned out were being sold by dolly daydream from here. I didn't find it the easiest thing in the world to fit mainly as I had a nightmare with the poppers so in the end we used velcro and staples!

84.jpg

87.jpg

8a.jpg

7f.jpg

76.jpg

Whilst working on the interior dad dug out an old roll over carpet so we carpeted under the rear cussion and under the bed, at some point I'll get some carpet edging and tidy it up a bit but it looks pretty good as is:

89.jpg

79.jpg

And to finish off I bought a new bugpack quietpack exhaust, I painted the muffler with some matt black high temperature paint so hopefully it'll last a bit better than I've learnt to expect from reading various review!

7c.jpg

81.jpg

gninnam said:
Great work with the new covers - looks even better than before 8)
Cheers :) Still got a bit left to do, need to replace the ply headliner which I'm going to kit out with some flush fitting led lights and to replace the sliding door and tailgate panels but that can wait for a bit!

Latest posts