My '68 Bay resto - getting somewhere !!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some great work, very impressive & I will watch this thread in anticipation of a great finish :mrgreen:
Top job 8)

what a brilliant thread! very inspiring!
I wish I had an area to work in I'd be right into it like you,unfortunatly I have a street & the rain everyday to work with :(

please keep the pictures coming and may I say your English is excellent! looking forward to the next instalment :D

Regards - Rob

Doris said:
what a brilliant thread! very inspiring!
I wish I had an area to work in I'd be right into it like you,unfortunatly I have a street & the rain everyday to work with :(

please keep the pictures coming and may I say your English is excellent! looking forward to the next instalment :D
Regards - Rob

Well actually I started my resto outside on the driveway, because I have an elderly man living behind my garage (studio) so didn't wanna kill him with toxic fumes from POR15, 2Pack primer, seam sealer and stuff like that, however I had to move the bus into the garage after spring storms (common in belgium) almost blew it away on the drive. Now I work in the garage however.

Well, I got the left side in EP a few weeks ago, but had a little mishap there...
I started mixing the EP with the hardener, and took the wrong hardener.... :evil:
It actually did harden after a few days, but I sanded it all down again anyway...
I was absolutely gutted, but I'm over it now :lol:

Started work on my rear axle and brakes, cleaned and POR-15'd them all, they look brilliant now:

26082008399.jpg

Bought a Cue ball at Bugshow (Brustem, Belgium) and found a rear bumper for about 45 EUR.

23082008389.jpg

Then put the left wheel arch in stone-chip, then a few coats of hammerite for a nice glossy finish.

26082008396.jpg

26082008397.jpg

26082008398.jpg

Got some OG seats too, stripped them to find a very rusty frame so had them blasted and powdercoated, after pics will follow.

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

17082008382.jpg

Had to weld this spring, it made the seat sag

17082008383.jpg

i'll be posting some more pics as I proceed, but didn't find much time lately with all the shows :mrgreen:

Get around better ride Lambretta 8) .Only joking :twisted: .looks like a good job being done there fella keep it up

Jim Drake said:
Get around better ride Lambretta 8) .Only joking :twisted: .looks like a good job being done there fella keep it up

I love the look of a Lammy, but it's a bit too fiddly to work on and it's just not as reliable as a Vespa for daily use (that's just because I never worked on or owned one :) )
And it's a tad small for me, the bars are too low and they touch my knees when turning.
Other than that, it's lovverly :lol: I especially love the automatic conversions with double discs and all that, takes some good engineering skills to get it all to work.

Well, thanks for bumping my thread, I just finished some more work on the van, so gotta put some more pics up.

Cheers! :wink:

Soooooo, finally got around to posting some of my progress of late, started welding on the other side.
Found proof of heritage on the passenger door:

15102008444.jpg

Also started to dismantle the rear flange and brake drum and found a few hornet's nests

22102008447.jpg

Cutting away at the rear wheel arch:

13102008442.jpg

Rear battery tray was hard to remove cause had several layers of steel to cut through :x

22102008449.jpg

Welded in the outrigger first, as a lead for rebuilding the area, also trial-fitted the front dogleg because the lower b-post was a little twisted, being unsupported.

13102008443.jpg

Then proceeded with the partial chassis crossmember, the L-shaped inner wheelarch and jacking point.

01112008452.jpg

Then welded in the dogleg, little bit fiddly but went a lot faster than last time, practice does make -almost- perfect :roll:

01112008456.jpg

Then encountered a problem with the replacement rail assembly :evil: :evil: :evil:
It so happens to be badly spotwelded so the track becomes narrower towards the front of the bus, so when the sliding door is nearly closed it just jams up.
So I took the whole thing off again and removed the bottom slider from the door and indeed, I can't even get the slider into the last 6-7 inches of the track, not even by force!
The supplier doesn't give any warranty regarding to the parts actually fitting so I'l have to drill the spotwelds and align them properly :(

Here's a few pics:

01112008455.jpg

This the part of the rail where the slider fits:

01112008454.jpg

And here it just jams up, it's even crooked:

01112008453.jpg

Any helpfull tips = Welcome!

Nice project, guess that the roller is getting jammed wonder if you could introduce a large steel bar the correct size ( of the roller) and try to open up the gap a little more. Actually fitting the entire assembly to the van and then doing this may be easier or you may find that on fitting the door and runner it eases up itself???

Good luck, keep the pics coming..

Nice work Nate, just read through the whole thread guys like you are an inspiration to the rest of us

Hey guys, been a while since I posted on here but haven't been sitting on my lazy ass!
Been busy with cleaning up small parts in my sandblast cabinet, and painting some parts of the suspension.
Also had a door sandblasted which now waits patiently to be straightened and primered.

I also managed to weld in the rear valance and corner, a job I've been putting of because I had little to go on... but I managed it well, see for yourself:

01022009479.jpg

08022009483.jpg

08022009484.jpg

I used black POR15 for these parts, used a cheap airbrush and worked a treat.
Very smooth finish and not slow at all. Much less bubbly than when using a brush!
The airbrush at 12 eur was a bargain too and much faster to clean than a spray gun.

I'm currently working on my custom steering wheel, pictures to follow.

some more inspiring work here dude.

in regards to the slider, i would tack it in place and try running with the door on, as the roller sometimes sits at a ver very slight angle and the weight of the door also helps it glide +a nice dollop of grease.

if that fails a big bar and a hammer :)

keep up the great work

Hi folks, did some more work today - not much to show for it tho, been a bit lazy with the camera or just been to dirty to handle it :mrgreen:

Removed the air filter support, I plan to have the kind of engine that don't need no friggin' oil filled airfilter :party0007:

28022009497.jpg

Also did some work on the chassis because I noticed that none of the welded nuts for the bumper mounting brackets where there anymore so had a hell of a time fitting them again and aligning them was hell :fighting0028:

22022009491.jpg

22022009490.jpg

Also managed to undercoat my wheel arches, put them in POR15 first and sprayed on the undercoating while the POR15 was still a bit sticky.

28022009499.jpg

28022009498.jpg

Now, as I removed my shift rod I noticed that it had been welded, here's some pics.

28022009496.jpg

28022009493.jpg

28022009492.jpg

Is this some kind of mod or what? I do have a '68 with post '71 IRS and front discs.

Thanx for any info you guys may have.

Latest posts