My 68 Westy - as time goes by .....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rasher said:
really nice looking bus my friend, any chance u could post or e-mail me some pics of the sink unit and the deckhead in the cab area. i recently bought me a 68 (8 mnths ago) so am very new to the vw world. at the moment there is no sink just a hole in the top of unit, i am repleacing the birch in the deck head and dont no if the sun visors shud sit on the ply or not at the mo they are half n half, that is one end is fixed to the ply and they orther is fixed to the bus.
Cheers and thanks Rasher :D :D :D :D

Yes no problem.
The sink top is fibre glass - just for 1968 - its a bit manky though uv damage. Ive reskimmed it once quickly but it needs doing again ....

News just it - it passed MOT today with just an advisory regarding the number plates ;)

I say 'it just passed' but to be fair, I never stop working on it! :lol:

Ill just tag on a few holiday pics. The thread about it was in chat :)

100_4973.jpg

100_4982.jpg

100_5072.jpg

100_5121.jpg

100_5136.jpg

100_5199.jpg

100_5215.jpg

100_5220.jpg

Ive now sold the Flat 4 sprints and am back rolling steels for the rest of the year

10092009216.jpg

100_5437.jpg

100_5438.jpg

100_5444.jpg

Winter work will start soon. Im just about to spend a chunk of cash! :mrgreen:

Do prefer your bus on stock wheels Clem , but i get a sneeky suspicion that the chunk of cash is going on another set of rims :shock:

Well it is looking great on the stock rims, Clem! 8) But 'for the rest of the year' sounds to me like you have other plans for next year... :msn4:

Awesome holiday photos btw! 8)

Do like the bus on steels - just right in my opinion.... 8)

Go then, what other plans have you got :D

Ive pre-ordered a set of the new steel BBT sprints :) a better offset than the alloys, and Ive ordered painted so a bit less bling. I was hoping to get them soon, but the wheel machine in the factory has broken so there is a production delay :(
No matter though, as my van has now gone into the workshop till next year.
I picked up a nice box of suspension parts from T2D at Brighton Breeze, so some changes, although subtle, are on the way.

I like the stock steels btw, but a 15" rim offers better tyre choice coupled with the fact I luuuurve OG Sprints but could never justify the dosh. Now theres a solution! 8)

Lee C said:
Very nice bus , were you @ vanfest this year , parked opposite another similar looking westy ?

Yes, I was in Early Bay camping though, so loads of white westys! :D

A couple of my very self indulgant pics from Brighton Breeze -

03102009253.jpg

03102009247.jpg

03102009252.jpg

This pic went wrong, but is kinda cool

03102009254.jpg

:oops: :mrgreen:

Nice one Mike, it was a great weekend and another amazing line up.

Congrats on the prize, they certainly had a lot to choose from. 8)

Time to get down.

Took the beam out, (it was adjusted a fixed slot method), stripped it down, and got the wire brush out to clean it up

25102009275.jpg

25102009276.jpg

Probably the first beam Ive got stuck into with a wire knotted brush tool on a grinder with no worries!

Got the air saw out and cut a couple of sections out in order to remove the leaf locators to free them up

25102009277.jpg

And cleaned up the locators, to ensure they will move without needing too much leverage

25102009278.jpg

Like the idea of removing the collars to clean them up but how are you going to weld the cutout sections back together with them back in place?

Loxy said:
Like the idea of removing the collars to clean them up but how are you going to weld the cutout sections back together with them back in place?

The cut sections are narrower than the width of the adjusters but wider than the locators which are 25mm .... put the adjusters in place, get the 'flaps' in situ and re-weld, thne place the adjusters over the top and weld in place .... did a bus like this recently and it was all good.

I got the adjusters I'm fitting from Marco ex of SlammedPanel in Holland ... when we visited them they were doing a beam this way - it seemed a good idea and works well, although labour intensive. Unadjustable adjusters are rubbish ;)

Latest posts