My 68 Westy - as time goes by .....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blimey, I thought this thread had died :)

Yes, its one spline at the rear and a drilled and adjusted front - I want to go lower, and will take the K and L route, but all in good time.
Moved into a new lock up in the summer and its now sorted for work, so my winter plan is to pull the engine, gearbox and tank and strip, clean and make good any nonsense .... Ive done nothing yet except spend a few hundred quid tonight on some nice Dells from Italy 8) I justify it by knowing this purchase will kick start me into action ..... just as soon as that darn Jungle programme is over! :oops:

Thanks for the comments everyone!

wsm.jpg

100_3895.jpg

100_3956.jpg

100_3158.jpg

100_3160.jpg

100_2722.jpg

100_2728.jpg

100_2719.jpg

100_2724.jpg

Havent posted on here in a while so I took a few pics today, in the workshop 'cos it was lashing down outside :(

At the start of winter I amassed a load of OG curtains and material

Image004.jpg

Some was good, some junk, and a disisater with the spin cycle in the washing machine did for a few peices, but I spent some time learning to use my wifes sewing machine, and it all came good! A full set of OG curtains!

ogc1.jpg

ogc2.jpg

OG curtains and a westy window seal in perfect harmony ;)

ogcseal.jpg

ogc3.jpg

Anyone whos looked inside my van may remember my drivers seat, the back had exploded! I wanted og seats, but the tan were a very limited run before the grey. I nearly gave up and tried to re-cover, but finally! through this forum I sourced some. I had to buy a complete microbus interior to get them, but it all got sold off, so no worries, and I ended up with a real set of cab seats that wont destroy my jeans anymore!

seat.jpg

While I had the camera out, my solution to music in the van has been discussed before, but not seen, so ...

take on old cooler -

outune.jpg

and a set of 12v PC speakers -

intune.jpg

it makes a nice sounding 'music box'. It plugs into the fag lighter on the go, or a jump pack when parked, and looks all innocent when parked up. I could trim it inside a bit better, but, hey! it works :mrgreen:

I bought a load of fringe material last year and sold some on here. Ive now fitted mine ... its not a perfect repro but does the job, if like me, you had none -

fringe.jpg

Ive had a stressful winter, and the engine, gearbox and fuel tank all came out. Didnt take pics of the affected areas today, but will do so.
The whole episode started here -

Dells.jpg

:mrgreen:

Right the gearbox was throwing oil, the engine a bit slow and the whole engine bay was 'grubby', so out it all came, and I spent some time cleaning and scraping.
The battery tray was toast, so that hit the floor and a pattern one went in, here it is done, sealed and smothered in wax -

batt1.jpg

I pulled the accessable parts of the gearbox apart and found an inner flange seal gone. A lot of bits are no longer available for 68 boxes, but Heritage had what I needed, the box got a scrape and clean, new cv boots and fittings all round, and alls well

gb1.jpg

gb2.jpg

So, a few bits were no longer required in the engine bay -

bits.jpg

And back it went with the new carbs, after a top end strip and rebuild. As you go you find you need a new coil mount, anti-pulse valve etc. Oh and I needed a SVDA dizzy and mine was a dual .... thanks again to the Counciller, for a SVDA fitted with Pertronix and Taylor leads :oops: ) I cleaned it all, but didnt overly repaint or detail, as its a work in progress (thats my excuse ;) )

eng1.jpg

eng2.jpg

And over a year on my Firetec got fitted (cheers Araon!)

dell1.jpg

Elsewhere, I changed a 'super' Brasilian ignition

oldlock.jpg

For a NOS one sourced on The Samba. It was a real PITA, but it all came good in the end

noskey.jpg

And I found a pair of NOS rear reflector seals there also -

nosis.jpg

And this weekend I fitted some new door seals I got from Status at Vanfest last year -

dseal.jpg

Superb fit and easy to install. Worth paying twice the price of the 'alternative quality' ones, for sure!

Dood sell me your tissue box! pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeee! ;)

Dirty Harry said:
Hi Clem,

How is the engine running with your new carb setup?

Harry

OK so far, all done by 'eye' to date. Pulls well and seems good, but will get it done on a rolling road asap, to ensure its right, as its popping a bit on tickover and overrun. They were set up by the seller for a bolt on and go installation, and it was very good.

easy said:

:lol:

It took months to find that! and cost a fortune :? Ill remember you if I see another ;)

Clem said:
easy said:

:lol:

It took months to find that! and cost a fortune :? Ill remember you if I see another ;)

Cheers dood, loads of cash waiting to stuff in the right hand ;)

Beautiful van! good to see the aerial and mirrors being put to good use. Clothes airer, nice. :)

cotswoldiver said:
Nice to see the westy out of the unit and back on the road. Enjoyed going back to the start of the thread and seeing how things have progressed. Hope the recent week away did you all a power of good

Thanks :) Yeah, we had a great week, anf yeah again, having the bus back is fab! :mrgreen:

creationblue said:
Mike im not jealous of your curtains at all :mrgreen:

What a find fella 8)

Just

Thanks, Im well chuffed :D

Im now turning my attention to a more correct lino for the floor! I need a life :lol:

Clem said:
creationblue said:
Mike im not jealous of your curtains at all :mrgreen:

What a find fella 8)

Just

Thanks, Im well chuffed :D

Im now turning my attention to a more correct lino for the floor! I need a life :lol:

Ill swap my perfect OG lino for your curtains :lol: .........

really nice looking bus my friend, any chance u could post or e-mail me some pics of the sink unit and the deckhead in the cab area. i recently bought me a 68 (8 mnths ago) so am very new to the vw world. at the moment there is no sink just a hole in the top of unit, i am repleacing the birch in the deck head and dont no if the sun visors shud sit on the ply or not at the mo they are half n half, that is one end is fixed to the ply and they orther is fixed to the bus.
Cheers and thanks Rasher :D :D :D :D

Latest posts