My 68 Westy - as time goes by .....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, finally back on the road. Thought I’d put the sprints back on, so decided to follow it on with a sort of retro theme that may have been seen on a bus on the scene back in the old days on a bus on the west coast…

So, bought some vinyl off eBay and cut some stripes to suit. Tyres are 195/80 x 15 are seem enormous, I wasn’t sure they’d clear but they do …. *phew*

So, there you go. Just need a small set of steps now.

View attachment 8123View attachment 8124
Groovy man…. fine looking bus 😎🌈👍

I use my spare wheel as a step when I’m parked up. Mines got a 165 65 14 tyre on and that fits nicely and tightly into an Ikea bag when it’s in the van.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,liking the raise too. :)
Cheers Oz. That’s a cunning plan!

So, finally back on the road. Thought I’d put the sprints back on, so decided to follow it on with a sort of retro theme that may have been seen on a bus on the scene back in the old days on a bus on the west coast…

So, bought some vinyl off eBay and cut some stripes to suit. Tyres are 195/80 x 15 are seem enormous, I wasn’t sure they’d clear but they do …. *phew*

So, there you go. Just need a small set of steps now.

View attachment 8123View attachment 8124
Love it 👍

Looks great, those tyres are huge :cool:
They really are. I changed the one side over (from stock 185/80 x 14) and the van was visibly leaning, its 1-2 inches higher than stock. I really have to make an effort to get in :D One slight front tyre/outer arch rub yesterday, but it was an uncommon manouvre so no worries.

I only fitted these at the start of the year as the previous ones had broken up. I found these in a box of old (used) parts and thought they might be ok. No idea how old they are … quite old I guess?
Ordered some actual brand new ones today. Sometimes you got to I guess. :D

I only fitted these at the start of the year as the previous ones had broken up. I found these in a box of old (used) parts and thought they might be ok. No idea how old they are … quite old I guess?
Ordered some actual brand new ones today. Sometimes you got to I guess. :D
I had the whole front wheel refurb thingy kit recently. The shoes were fab, the bearings were fab, the new internal cylinder to cylinder pipes were a mare, consequently I’m running the old ones. The cylinders were way too big in the castings, one had swarf in it . Had to relieve the cylinders to allow the springs to pass.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,disappointing :)

I had the whole front wheel refurb thingy kit recently. The shoes were fab, the bearings were fab, the new internal cylinder to cylinder pipes were a mare, consequently I’m running the old ones. The cylinders were way too big in the castings, one had swarf in it . Had to relieve the cylinders to allow the springs to pass.

I’m just buying shoes. You’ll be gathering I don’t spend out if I don’t ‘have’ to 😂

I’m just buying shoes. You’ll be gathering I don’t spend out if I don’t ‘have’ to 😂
And I’m not one to throw anything away, I’ve still got those old cylinders maybe the shoes in case I want to get them relined, like that’ll ever happen and one pipe because I trashed the other one but fished it out of the bin because I might suddenly learn how to bend them nicely one night in my dreams.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,upbringing,,,,,,old habits die hard :)

Apologies for the thread hijhack - Hey @ozziedog where did you get your cylinders from?

Looking to buy some decent ones.

Cheers,
Steve

I got mine from heritage but I wasn’t that impressed as they needed modifying quite a bit plus there was swarf inside the rubbers seal too. So lesson learned, to pop them apart and give them a good clean at the very first thing.
IMG_4028.jpegIMG_4033.jpeg
This was to allow the spring clearance required. You can see the difference in overall size in the first pic with the original at the top.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,all working nicely now :)

A few months ago I looked at new cylinders on JK. I think there were two types available. So called genuine ones at around £75 each and pattern ones for about £15 .... neither appealed at the time but I guess the genuine ones are the right choice.

My new front shoes arrived and fitted quite easily. Used the van over the weekend and I'm not impressed with the braking so far. I'll re adjust and maybe rebleed to see how they go. I have a firm and even pedal, they just seem a bit rubbish .... am I expecting too much? :D

Latest posts