My 68 Westy - as time goes by .....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few months ago I looked at new cylinders on JK. I think there were two types available. So called genuine ones at around £75 each and pattern ones for about £15 .... neither appealed at the time but I guess the genuine ones are the right choice.

My new front shoes arrived and fitted quite easily. Used the van over the weekend and I'm not impressed with the braking so far. I'll re adjust and maybe rebleed to see how they go. I have a firm and even pedal, they just seem a bit rubbish .... am I expecting too much? :D
Maybe, but I think we want new car driveability with every new purchase.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,maybe Wiggy got the right idea :)

A week or so back, I suddenly thought ‘These Brakes Ain’t Good’ as it dawned on me that I was hanging back etc as I pulled up behind traffic at lights and things. So I got to a bit of clear road in front and behind and got up to about forty and slammed the brakes on. The response wasnt great, so I did the same but pumped the pedal and exactly the same. Sticking my foot out the cab door would’ve had about the same effect almost. So I pulled them apart on my return to my garage and there was next to no dust or wear marks like I was expecting. Adjusted the brakes and they’re much better. I still don’t think they’re as good as my old shoes but mine were very similar to Clems in that they didn’t inspire any confidence at all. Wiggy said about letting them wear in and I reckon he’s right. So keep adjusting seems to be the answer but I still do t think they are as good as my old shoes and it may possibly be ‘Yet’ . I’m assuming that be because my drums are old and not perfectly flat, it’ll take a bit if time for the shoes to get to exactly the same shape as the drum. One thing I have noticed is the pulsing of the brakes is now gone. When I first fitted the new shoes, I felt a kind of pulsing through the pedal on heavy braking , that’s now gone, possibly just over a thousand miles but mainly on long runs.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,those discs will never ever catch on. :)

Yes, I adjusted the brakes up and I have a high even pedal. They are ‘adequate’ but I couldn’t stop sharp in the event of an emergency , maybe it just needs the miles to wear them in. Hope so ….

Don’t mention those indicators though, thats the real danger!

Yes, you're lucky you didn't get pulled over as you wouldn't be able to stop.
I d just wave back at them, I’d also tell them later, “Everybody Waves At Me” . If they ever pull in front of me to pull me over, well we’ll just have to cross that bridge when we get there.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, hope they ain’t that crazzzeee :)

Latest posts