My 69 Cali Weekender

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI MATE GOT A SIMILAR VAN GERMAN WESTY IMPORT AND HAVE THE SAME RUST AROUND THE FRONT WINDOW .JUST WONDERING HOW AND WHAT YOU DID TO GET IT LOOKING SO GOOD

Just some sanding, filler and rattle can spray. It's not great close up.

I have a repair panel to weld in before it gets painted.

Had to go into work on Sunday, which held me up, then it was my birthday yesterday.

Woke up this morning, stinking Sailor Jerry hangover, but motivated, so got a bit done.

Took the drums off, check all the shit in there...... :shock:

001.jpg

No wonder the adjuster 'star' wouldn't turn!! Some replacing and sorting to be done

007.jpg

009.jpg

Dropped beam

008.jpg

Beam is caked in 40 years of shit, so I've stripped it down, adjusters are in, and all the bits not being replaced are off the be blasted and coated.

Round the back it was out with the old

068.jpg

And in with the new

011.jpg

013.jpg

Whilst it's up now, time to clean off all the brittle underseal

009.jpg

and take off any other bits for blasting and coating.

I'm thinking of replacing the brake hoses with braided, anyone done this? any benefit?

Not off now until Saturday :evil: Working in the dark is no fun.......

Right, parts are back, adjusters are in and it's time to start fitting up. I'm thinking of using stainless steel bolts instead of standard. Anyone think this may be an issue? Especially when fitting the beam?

Love your thread dude,

Was wondering what you did to the interior units?, they look new or have you refurbed them?

I have a Westy but the interior cupboard is a bit worse for wear, am thinking of using it as a pattern and building a new, up to date cupboard with some custom extras hidden inside.

Yours looks great, you have to look twice to make sure - thats the look I am after!

Matt

Cheers Bro, interior is the original westy units that I have veneered myself. Bought the veneer from a place in exeter, we're really pleased with it. I see your pretty local, being from Taunton, you welcome to pop over and take a look if you like. Jon

Thanks mate I will take you up on that....the interior is the last of my worries at the moment but the look you have got really suits...my wardrobe has seen better days and needs replacing.

I have mates in the chippy trade...but getting them to do this kind of work is umm....well patience is essential!

I've still got welding to do :mrgreen:

Matt

Right, so I finally got the van off axle stands and back on the wheels, little bit of tinkering with the height and I'll get pics up.

Also had a little issue with the new master cylinder I got from M7 but thanks to Austin should be sorted by end of the week.

Main reason for the post is just to express my delight with the exhaust......managed to fire it up for the first time and hear the motor through the stainless bluebird unit that has been fitted for ages .......... And quite frankly it sounds awesome!!!!!

If anyone is debating the purchase I would thoroughly recommend!

Ver happy :)

So finally got him back off the axle stands and onto the floor..... Bit lower than I has thought so maybe a little tinkering and then fit the rear spring plates

df5a0820.jpg

took some time today to clear the garage and see if he fits ......... Happy days....

88745a5c.jpg

and he's in .........

Now,

where do I put the mountain bikes?!?!? ;)

Cheers fella the more I look at it the more I like it.....

I am a bit concerned though, when the beam was off I removed the rubber bump stops...now he's back on the wheels the lower torsion arm hits the metal 'bump stop arm' I assume that I'll need to cut this off? Anyone got any idea how much lower it's likely to drop when I do? I'm running STD width beam and creative adjusters.

Right....Time for an update.....

After getting everything back together, we got our first chance of a real shakedown to Dubs at the Castle - great weekend and even better that the bus ran without a problem.

Lineupbuddy.jpg

(pic stolen from Cali_Bay - sorry dude)

So got a couple of things to do but then it's the big one.........

2 weeks time we set off on a 700 mile journey from Taunton to Limousin in France.

Ferry is booked, bought a roof rack, spares packed, breakdown cover sorted etc etc......

Really excited and a little bit twitchy............It looks a long way!!!!!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...8.458352,-1.054687&spn=7.024644,19.665527&z=6

Nice Bus - and I love the Torker wheels on it.

Hope you have a great trip to France. Not quite the same, but we had a great trip to Cornwall last September and racked up 1,200miles in a week in our bus - the first time we'd been on holiday with it properly.

Just had a thought.......

Probably best to ask now rather than when I do have a problem.....

Anyone know of any VW dudes in France that I could turn to if I have a major issue?

The route I am taking is Roscoff to Limousin, via Rennes, Le Mans and Tours.

Long shot I know, but thought I'd ask none the less.

Right, so big problems, and need some help urgently!

On the way to Plymouth, and I developed a missfire. Got onto the ferry and crossed to Roscoff. After about 10 mins driving in france, loads of back firing followed by a loss of power, pulled over and after some digging realised that the coil was fried.

Thankfully had a replacement so changed that along with points and condenser. All good. Drove about 250km towards Le Mans and suddenly same issue!!? Backfire loss of power! Pulled over, and seemed to be same issue, but no spares so time for euro recovery.

An overnight in a hotel and a hire car got us to destination and kids started holiday. Whilst bus in garage for repair.

Turns out my analysis seemed correct and the garage replaced the points, condenser and coil - 200 euros.

I drove up to Le mans today to collect the van, checked before paying, work definately done.

Have driven around 200km from Le Mans to Tours and the same thing has happened again!!!!

Any ideas? What could cause a coil to fry 30times. 2 brand new!?

I am at a loss and running out of money!!!

HELP please!!

Hi John,

Sorry to hear this. I can't help im afraid but i have started a new thread in technical as it may well get more looks. Hopefully somebody will be along soon to give some more helpful advice than I can.

I hope you get it sorted dude and can enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Matt

Latest posts