My 69 Microbus Resto in Oz

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely time for a bit of an update - getting close to finishing and rego now!

Firstly, can anyone identify this?
IMG_1807.jpg

It is an engine lift specially designed for the VW motor! Where did I get it - now there starts a story.

Got reading on the 'net about using a hydraulic motorcycle lift to raise the engine into place and after figuring out the expense of purchasing one for hopefully a one-off event was too much I got to thinking of who I know that might have one I could borrow.

Having only moved to the area about 3 years ago I am still getting to know folk, but one guy loosely connected to a soccer team I play in rides dirt bikes so I thought I would ask him - unfortunately he had no idea of what I was talking about :cry: But he understood what I needed it for and then said "But you have asked the right person - my Dad was a VW mechanic and owned the local wreckers years ago - he still has some stuff in his garage - I'll ask him"

A few phone calls later and I am around at his old man's house, coincidentally less than 1km from my house, picking up this engine lift, plus an engine trolley, and looking a veritable Aladdins Cave of old VW bits :D No problems borrowing flywheel locks, clutch fitting tool, getting missing bits of tinware, correct fuel pump rod, etc - so I was a very happy boy - if only I knew he was there a few years ago! The lift is a solid bit of gear - cable operated - looks to have been built in Australia specifically for VW mechs - quite unique I imagine.

Engine stand in use as I start the build on the Mexican motor
IMG_1814.jpg

Pretty much all there
IMG_1827.jpg

Close up of alternator, dissie, coil, etc
IMG_1830.jpg

Using that engine lift for some help with the gearbox
IMG_1821.jpg

Then what she was meant for
IMG_1836.jpg

And after a bit (read..lot) of careful manoevring the engine was home
IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1838-2.jpg

I have done more since then but need to get the pics off the camera - will try to get them sorted in the next week

JOSH

thats a stunning engine josh 8) , i really like the way youve gone about restoring this bus :wink:

Johnny said:
thats a stunning engine josh 8) , i really like the way youve gone about restoring this bus :wink:

Thanks Johnny, when it is done I think I will be very proud of what's been achieved

I've even managed to get some more pics from the last few weeks

Finished off stuff around the engine - tidied up wires, fitted valance and rear bumper (which needs some adjusting once splashguards are in)

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

Got the rear engine hatch on, which I was a bit worried about as I had some probs getting the original screws out, but it went together nicely

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Then rolled it out into the sun to check the engine and gearshift adjustment - didn't want it trying to drive through the back of the garage!

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

I have since taken it for a short drive down the road, and it went well, but was noisy as no windows in the drivers side at the time

Still need to do a few things to get it finished for rego, including sunvisors, interior mirror and windows - but it will be ready within a week or so - hopefully with my new plates - JOSH

:shock: just saw this. big up to you buddy, fantastic work and attention to detail is second to none. i love seeing pics of stoked kids in busses. mine smile everytime we head out in the bus.

well wear dude :D

Thanks again for the kind words :D

Pretty much got it finished - just a few more touches needed - but it has been registered and out on the road a few times - had one major hiccup with a blocked main jet but that was sorted relatively easily and I will use it a few more times over the next week before a 3 hour cruise for a long weekend away

Here are some pics - not the best as light was fading - will get some more over the weekend hopefully
IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

JOSH

That is a beautiful bus. Excellent job!

What type of tires do you have on there? Are those the port a wall white walls?
Also how did you lower?

panic_fan said:
That is a beautiful bus. Excellent job!

What type of tires do you have on there? Are those the port a wall white walls?
Also how did you lower?

Thanks p_f - tyres are a commercial tyre "Kelly' made in Australia 185R14 - whitewalls are Atlas flaps that are already starting to discolour :evil: but clean up with a bit of wax and grease remover

Lowered by splined adjusters on the front and one outer notch on the rear - front is as high as adjusters will allow (could go lower) so there is a bit of rake - which I don't mind - thought about one more notch at the rear to level it but then you get into trouble with the removing the rear wheels if needed

what really surprised me is how well this thing rides - steering a bit iffy due to tightish new ball joints but rides the road well depite the lowering and stiff sidewalled tyres - certainly no rougher than my Mini Cooper S on the bumpy stuff :lol:

Quality work, nice colours, seat go look spot on with the body colour, post more pics, nice understated custom.

Hey EarlyBayer's - Sorry for not replying for so long but I have been sorting a few other important things out in my life after finishing the resto, like a real job :)

I though I would finish off the series of pics so that you can see how it all ended up - here are some more of the interior - should have put them up ages ago!

interior8.jpg

interior7.jpg

interior2.jpg

interior6.jpg

Interior1.jpg

interior4.jpg

interior5.jpg

So that reveals most of all there is to "Porridge", as she is affectionately known.

I have actually set things up to run her in a Wedding Hire business up here in Newcastle, Australia - this was something that I had planned when I first purchased her and now it is all systems go - getting enough work to pay for rego, insurance and upkeep so I am happy - I will get some nice wedding snaps together and put them up soon

Catch you round - JOSH

Latest posts