My 72 Devon Moonraker Resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89Rallye

Reaction score
Appologies to anyone who has seen this before :oops:

This is about 2 1/2 years of work so I'll try and keep it a short as I can :lol:

As bought, my dad actually found this van through a mate of his it had been taken in px for another newer motor and the dealer who had it just wanted rid.

It appeared to be in average-good condition but how things can be misleading, also for some reason that i’ll probably never know the original owner had decided to paint the ENTIRE interior with what looks like magnolia emulsion. Oh and I mean everything and probably with a roller judging by the finish, door cards, headlining, all the interior cupboards etc etc

BILD0136.jpg

BILD0137.jpg

BILD0138.jpg

After a quick strip, shotblast and overhaul of the front axle she was lowered to tera firma and with the addition of some new wheels studs a nice cheap set of merc alloys followed.

All of this....

DSCN0001.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

Lead to this...

3.jpg

Which lead to this...

BILD0164.jpg

Then things started going downhill, after a bit of poking this happened.

BILD0313.jpg

BILD0334.jpg

Inch of filler anyone?

BILD0315.jpg

It was just botch after botch

BILD0318.jpg

But things started to turn around, I converted the rear arches to early ones as I prefer the look but I am now starting to regret this decision so may end up changing them back.

BILD0279.jpg

BILD0281.jpg

All this was done outside me dads as I have the Caddy in my garage at home, which wasn’t really ideal. Just a few more random body work photos

Botched battery tray

BILD0320.jpg

BILD0317.jpg

Engine bay repairs

BILD0328.jpg

BILD0341.jpg

This looks a little better

BILD0342.jpg

So with things being alot worse than we thought the van was moved up to my garage and my poor caddy was turfed outside, this was mainly due to not wanting the weather getting to the van.

So home she came, (excuse the mess!)

DSCN1196.jpg

Where the rust and the filler just kept on coming.

DSCN1198.jpg

DSCN1201.jpg

DSCN1197.jpg

DSCN1205.jpg

DSCN1223.jpg

DSCN1222.jpg

DSCN1274.jpg

DSCN1285.jpg

DSCN1281.jpg

DSCN1211.jpg

Now I had already started to make this to use on the Caddy, but since I knew the van was here for the long haul I adapted it. I was actually experimenting with a pipe bender (while make the roll cage for my Caddy) to see if you could bend square box tubing with it, turns out you can!!

DSCN0911.jpg

DSCN0912.jpg

DSCN0916.jpg

DSCN0918.jpg

DSCN1312.jpg

DSCN1311.jpg

DSCN1318.jpg

DSCN1319.jpg

Lots of digging and scraping later...

DSCN1326.jpg

DSCN1325.jpg

DSCN1327.jpg

And it didn’t take long for the holes to start to appear

DSCN1328.jpg

DSCN1329.jpg

DSCN1330.jpg

DSCN1335.jpg

DSCN1321.jpg

So only one thing for it, start cutting it all out...

DSCN1351.jpg

DSCN1344.jpg

DSCN1345.jpg

DSCN1350.jpg

DSCN1366.jpg

DSCN1363.jpg

And start replacing it with good steel.

DSCN1551.jpg

DSCN1374.jpg

DSCN1370.jpg

DSCN1568.jpg

DSCN1580.jpg

DSCN1587.jpg

I was starting to get really anal with it, this is the reason why everything I do is so SLOW.

All the repair panels that would fit in the shot blaster where cleaned, prepped and painted with rust protector

DSCN1604.jpg

DSCN1610.jpg

DSCN1613.jpg

Yet to find out how good this stuff is, not cheap but not as expensive as some (por15 for example)

DSCN1593.jpg

Belly pans needed a fair old bit of work

DSCN1352.jpg

DSCN1343.jpg

DSCN1381.jpg

DSCN1392.jpg

DSCN1341.jpg

But getting there

DSCN1746.jpg

DSCN3096.jpg

I have recently started work on the van after probably an 18 month lay off due mainly to work and laziness if I’m honest.
Trying to complete one side of the underside of the van so it can be dropped and rolled the other way

Plenty more rust, oh and guess what more botches and filler.

DSCN3091.jpg

DSCN3089.jpg

DSCN3088.jpg

DSCN3093.jpg

I removed this plate with my hands, it was just tacked on and filled over!!

DSCN3092.jpg

Plasma cutter made short work of the rest. I’m going to wait till the van is upright so I can line all the arches up then they will be tacked up and fully welded once the van is rolled again.

DSCN3098.jpg

DSCN3097.jpg

Managed last weekend to get the rear arch closing panels finished, its almost ready to be put back on its wheels again!! And I can get it outside and give the garage a good cleaning.

This just needed a little extending

DSCN3106.jpg

DSCN3108.jpg

DSCN3110.jpg

DSCN3113.jpg

DSCN3103.jpg

And thats basically the bodywork up to date, I have missed loads off (phew I hear you all say) but you can only have so many photos.
LOL, in the meantime though I also built this for the van but not going to use it now as I want to convert the van to diesel... more on that later.
This is my dads engine, its a 1776cc built with all new parts (apart from tinware) bought from America.

Out with the old

BILD0021.jpg

Nice little delivery

BILD0097.jpg

BILD0099.jpg

And a few bits picked up at vanfest

BILD0038.jpg

Led to this, built in my dads living room.

BILD0258.jpg

BILD0256.jpg

BILD0253.jpg

BILD0353.jpg

BILD0354.jpg

BILD0356.jpg

BILD0357.jpg

BILD0304.jpg

Quick mock up

BILD0359.jpg

And tonnes of work needed with the tinware, some of it was literally in half.

DSCN1126.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1124.jpg

DSCN1125.jpg

Originally was thinking of going brown again with the van but thats changed now too..

DSCN1157.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

Starting to flat it off, there not perfect but then its not going to be concours

DSCN1154.jpg

DSCN1156.jpg

DSCN1153.jpg

That will do for now, thanks for sticking it to the end :lol:

Beleive it or not I've skipped alotof photos.

With work comitments (I'm away most weeks) I dont get much time on the van but excuses aside heres my most recent update.

DSCN3349.jpg

DSCN3350.jpg

DSCN3351.jpg

I cant believe how piss poor thin the repair panel is on this sill piece, I'm hoping lots of waxoil will keep it safe for years to come.

thru_a_lupe said:
well documented!!! nowt wrong with photos....keep em coming!

loving the colour btw.....

:mrgreen:

Cheers dude, colour changes every day it wont be going brown anymore maybe back to the original blue? but I did like the thought of the original (when I got it anyway) brown over beige.

bus.jpg

Plenty of time to think about colour though,

thru_a_lupe said:
btw... is that engine in your front room?!? :shock: 8)

:lol: Well in my dads extension yes, everythings brand new and whilst its not scientifically clean its cleaner than the garage!

Its gets better than that.... (like I say alot of photos missing, this is the shortened version!)

BILD0043.jpg

:lol: :shock: :lol:

Welcome to the site, what a great way to introduce yourself.

I started my Aircooled world in a 72 Devon.

What is your plan with the interior? Clean up, rubdown and get back to original? They are one of my favourite conversions.

Jon

What a good read great pictures, would love to do my engine in front room but probably get lynched, just showed pics of engine in dishwasher to the misses, The reply I got was NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, don't see the problem myself. :shock: how did you get that square tube bent? I need one of those rollers.

Cheers guys,

This is the shortened down version, I get a little paranoid at times posting so many photos at once.

If anyones really really bored the rest are here so you can browse at your own leisure, theres also sub folders for engine and bodywork etc

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/89Rallye/Camper/

Unfortunatley the original interior was past it, the cooker cupboard was about the best of the lot which was sold on (I'll tell the story one day about an Aussie trying to buy it on Ebay) the rest went in the bin :oops: but I did keep all the fixtures and fixings (sink, table etc) so I might do a repro of the original as there are some good plans on the internet. I'd love to get my hands on the previous owner who covered everything with the paint.

As for the dishwasher, its was due to be replaced! so I wouldnt recommend it.

I bent the box tubing myself I had a load left over (it was suppose to be a set of gates for my sister :lol: ) and thought i'd see if it would bend using a hydraulic bender and it did. It did take alot of calculating to get each length the same radius. it was originally built in just two little curves to flip my mk1 caddy on its side but got modified to fit the camper.

Heres a few more, you might be able to work out the size of space it took to roll. I was a bit pre occupied to take photos as it was balancing on a jack!

DSCN1385.jpg

DSCN1386.jpg

DSCN1308.jpg

DSCN1309.jpg

DSCN1310.jpg

DSCN1313.jpg

And heres how it was lowered over, so much control it was awesome.

DSCN1316.jpg

DSCN1317.jpg

Great resto! welcome welcome! keep them updates coming and good luck with it. I love the brown / grey combo! :mrgreen:

Since the other half was working yesterday I had a little time to myself,

I dont know why everything I do seems to take so long but I really need to pull my finger out as everybody is giving my grief about it now :(

Van been on its side now nearly 3 years :oops: which is a bit embarassing :oops:

Been putting this one off for a long time, in the end I made the B post repair panel myself which saved me £18 but probably cost me about £100 to make in time and electricity! :lol:

Cill is now all welded in place, its not perfect and i'm looking to lead/solder fill this as I dont want it cracking in the future.

DSCN3411.jpg

DSCN3412.jpg

DSCN3414.jpg

DSCN3413.jpg

DSCN3415.jpg

DSCN3420.jpg

DSCN3419.jpg

Doesnt look much in photos but that a day and a half's work for me, slow and steady :lol:

Does mean I am very close to getting it back on its wheels though :party0053:

It's looking good mark
What you need is to notch your chassis next
And if you want to practice on mine feel free ;)

Btw- the glow plug came yesterday for the heater I'll drop it in when the other bits arrive(as if you haven't got enough to do

:lol: Cheers dude, notching a chassis is a piece of cake compared to this! if you want it doing just let me know and we'll sort something out. Its easier than raising the suspension back up ;)

I'm away this week, Immingham Mon/Tues and Felixstowe Thursday/Friday but home Wednesday night I think. No rush anyway its your heater but i'm sure you wouldnt mind it back for Busfreeze!

Did you get the felt ring to go with the seals?

That's cool mark as long as you don't mind
Just let me know when's best for you?
I ordered a seal kit so assume it has the felt ring?
I'm off tue,thur on nights the weekend

Let me know how much I owe you mate

Thanks again
Mark

Big day today, unearthed after nearly two years on its side :oops:

Still lots and lots of work to complete, every time I look at the van I find more botches and filler.

DSCN3434.jpg

DSCN3435.jpg

DSCN3426.jpg

DSCN3423.jpg

10" wide on the rear?? maybe not :lol:

DSCN3445.jpg

Properly motivated now, going to get the front panel off and sort the arches and deformation panel out then work backwards.

I think the cab doors are past it, I was going to repair them but I think its best to just replace them now so if anyone has any good rust free doors let me know ;)

Great work fella, loving the camper skates too. Colour combo looks cracking its good to be different 8)

Just

creationblue said:
Great work fella, loving the camper skates too. Colour combo looks cracking its good to be different 8)

Just

:lol: Cheers, I did have the body roller sat on the big skates at the back but it was too tall and wide I couldnt get it out of the garage. So I knocked them up this afternoon with the wheels of one of my tool boxes. They work a treat too I can push it about on my own with ease.

Latest posts