my cream 68 bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
68bay said:
it is not a DEVON it was a danbury when it started life

I did wonder who'd be the first to spot that... ;)

Lovely bus, by the way. I do love a white tin-top (or sunroof bus as it is now). :D

Danbury Doug said:
68bay said:
it is not a DEVON it was a danbury when it started life

I did wonder who'd be the first to spot that... ;)

Lovely bus, by the way. I do love a white tin-top (or sunroof bus as it is now). :D

thanks doug :D , i'm a bit green when it comes to what makes a devon a devon or a danbury a danbury..... whats the differences? :?

When i bought it last year i was told it was a devon but i was told by the previous previous owner it was a danbury, and i do think the colour is a bit darker than lotus white, it was resprayed about ten years ago, but the original colour code inside says lotus white....

Has your danbury got a badge above the boot lid? i got a couple of holes there for summat, i'd be nice learn what should be there :)

Hi Nobby. :)

The Devons and Danburys of that era were similar in some respects, although Devons had more storage space (cupboards), and the bed wasn't so fiddly to set up in some of the Devon models, hence possibly the reason the interior in yours ended up being changed!
That being said, the Danbury interior worked very well, and was quite adaptable, and there are many of them still out there and going strong (mine being one of them!).

The Danbury interior basically consists of the rear bench seat (similar to the Devon), with a removable small sink box to one side. Then you have two removable buddy seats that slide forwards and backwards (for dining/traveling). One of the buddy seats has a small 'flip-up' cooker housed in it.
The bed is made up by a 'jigsaw' of various boards and cushions.

Here are some pics of my bus, including one of the little Danbury badge that you mention. :)

Pic676Travellingconfig.jpg

Pic694Diningconfig-1.jpg

Picture634-1.jpg

It looks like you're sorted with a good rock and roll bed etc, but if you do wish to put some original Danbury fittings back into your bus, just about everything is still available on Ebay from time to time, or on the 'Early Bay parts for sale' section on here.

Let me know if I can be of further help with anything. :D

P.S. Sorry for the large pics (unless they shrink down later). :oops: I did scale them right down on Photobucket, but it doesn't seem to have worked! I can always delete them in due course, if you don't want them to dominate your thread!

Thanks Doug!

I like the idea of the travelling seat positions, make it more of a bus for road trips :)

You got a very tidy interior there too dude, is all your van original?

I have spoke to doris on here before and its amazing how much detail there is about the bays, all the little bits that are a nightmare to find too, i didnt realise what ive bought into :roll: haha still love it though!

Gonna be on the look out for that danbury badge too!

nobby said:
You got a very tidy interior there too dude, is all your van original?

Cheers Nobby. :D Yes, the interior is 100% original, so it comes complete with faded cushions and threadbare curtains! I love originality, so it will all stay.... until such time it all falls to bits! :lol:
The paint is mostly original too (the slightly higher spec Microbus base model, such as my bus is, having a two tone paint scheme from the Volkswagen factory).

My bus is completely identical to the one my folks bought new, which I grew up with (same year, colour scheme and also a tin-top). The chances of finding the same combination, still with its completely original interior would be slim nowadays, so when I spotted it for sale four years ago, I wasn't going to let it get away!

Danbury badges come up from time to time, so I'll keep an eye out for you. Chances are someone on here may have one tucked away, so a 'wanted' ad in the parts for sale/wanted section may come up trumps and get those two holes covered up for you!

Danbury badges come up from time to time, so I'll keep an eye out for you. Chances are someone on here may have one tucked away, so a 'wanted' ad in the parts for sale/wanted section may come up trumps and get those two holes covered up for you!

thanks doug gonna get that wanted ad up now, you got some cool history with ya dub, ive always thought i'd have the white over blue until this cream one came available.... they are cool colours! :D

my lovely interior done by dubholstery (ant) http://www.dubholstery.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's a really down to earth guy n happy do what i wanted n suggested bits to make it as good as its turned out! I cannot recommend this guy enough!! :D

Prices were spot on and service top notch - in and out in a week and looks like a new van.

Ive gone for a red vinyl with cream piping and a cream suede centre (i know i must be mental with a 2year old who loves chocolate!)

But it is amazing, and i'd advise anyone go check ant out in warrington and see his samples and other work!

Pics time.......

100_2781.jpg

100_2782.jpg

100_2783.jpg

100_2784.jpg

100_2785.jpg

100_2790.jpg

100_2795.jpg

100_2797.jpg

nobby said:
aspro said:
Hey Doddy

Is that an Australian RHD? Too solid to be a UK van and the mesh visor is a bit of a giveaway. Could be wrong, it's happened before.

na its uk did the m plate check the other night.... 16th jan 68, Ramsgate, England. :)

Hi there, nice bus :) was only looking at everyone's m plate decodes the other day and wondering what the chances are of coming across one close to mine, didn't think I would find one so quick :lol: mines 15th jan 68, ramsgate England. Lol

Latest posts