my day didn't start out very well.....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
L6ZgulD.jpg

EYQ3SX3.jpg

YKBJyih.jpg

uOmPmKh.jpg

rcrDZae.jpg

no clue what happened , was stone cold when it caught fire . didn't even make it half way down my driveway . fire extinguisher didn't do anything to help. fuel was pouring onto the ground immediately after i noticed smoke .

Holy f**ing crap. I saw some poor soul earlier tonight, surrounded by paramedics trying to save his life on the road. I stayed up late with a few beers to watch the last episode of Dexter, I thought all that was depressing; this just tops it.

Jesus, what a horrible sight to see, especially on your own driveway. Real shame - gutted for you.

I'm sorry mate. I just had the assessor out to mine after it caught fire a couple of months ago. What's worst is you can only stand there and watch. It all happens so quickly.

Oh DAMN man, soo sorry!

What fuel lines did you have and where was your filter installed?

All the best man!
hope insurance will cover the damage...

i had standard rubber fuel lines and my filter was right next to the rotor cap. My filter would have been moved to under the tank today by a friend of mine while i built him a new shed had this not happened. insurance should go good for it but it turns out that my coverage was through a company based out of the states and i'm in Canada . if you know anything about american insurance companies you know that they don't like to pay out to anyone without a fight. had i been told by my broker that it wasn't a Canadian company it would have found someone else

Damn not one less here in Canada! I really feel for you Kirk.

I know this may be too soon, but keep us posted on your search for another one. What will you be loooking for? If you find a bus of interest in the Ottawa area I could go have a look with other VW friends to inspect the goods.

This truly deserves a minute of silence :cry:

vwcanuck said:
Damn not one less here in Canada! I really feel for you Kirk.

I know this may be too soon, but keep us posted on your search for another one. What will you be loooking for? If you find a bus of interest in the Ottawa area I could go have a look with other VW friends to inspect the goods.

This truly deserves a minute of silence :cry:

As long as the insurance comes through for me i already know exactly what i'll be buying . First stop is a 78(ish) westy that a fellow I've know for years wants me to buy from him. 2nd stop is a 67 beetle that I've been dreaming about all summer and thirdly is a 2000ish TDI beetle that i can say is for me (so i can play with it and turn the torque up to near 300 ft/lbs). The wife will end up driving it daily I'm sure but still I'd like to have one rolling smoke and still getting 1100 km per tank.

thanks to all you guys. i have alot of people saying to me how sorry they are but i know that when someone in this group says it that they really mean it .

For all those people who might see this thread and think "it won't happen to me because..." you're kidding yourself . i was sitting cross legged looking over my fuel system and checking my oil less than 2 minutes before i smelled smoke .I had no leaks of any sort, everything was tight and new .Purchase a fire extinguisher. A big one that one that is meant to be used for gasoline. once the fuel line is on fire you aren't stopping the fuel from pouring onto the ground and spreading in what ever direction gravity chooses and then your basic hardware store unit isn't going to be enough .Mine put the fire out for all of 3 seconds before it came back to stay .
I don't want to seem preachy but I've always been one of the people to think "it won't happen to me" and here i am .I'd rather have my bus than the money i may get and I'll never stop thinking of this. I feel more like I let the bus down than I feel sorry for myself when I look at it sitting the way it is now .

Latest posts