My ol'faithful '69 Devon Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanMan

Reaction score
Hi Earlybay fans !

First time on the forum so I hope the pics attach ok.

This is my much travelled 69 Devon Caravette which I have owned since 1980 when I purchased from the original owner up here in the Highlands. I have used the van extensively over the past 26 years for European holidays and she is no stranger to Alpine passes or French RN's !
Now showing 126,000 miles, the old bay is now used mainly for summer (?!)weekend camping trips in Scotland, though we did travel to the south of France and back during 2002.

Looks identical to Grant Dawlings '67 Devon, mine is very original also, apart from the elevating roof, engine and some minor bodywork - (front arches, seat belt mounts and couple of repairs on rear wheel arches), rest is as you see on pics, battery trays, floors, chassis etc never touched !
I could write a book on the adventures we have had with the van over the years, maybe one day, but I will try and dig out some interesting pics and scan 'em in.

great website and forum !

vanpics0131.jpg

vanpics014.jpg

vanpics011.jpg

vanpics015.jpg
[

Welcome, Very nice looking devon. I think that white buses with red interiors are about as good as it gets (mine is going to be second best red dormobile with red interior).
I would definitely be interested in hearing some stories with some nice pics, perhaps you should set up a website about your travels?
Not sure you can beat this one for van mods though!!!

http://www.20yearsoverland.com/index.html

It would also be interesting to see if anyone else on here has owned their van for as long as you have, I have only owned mine for just over a year but the previous owner bought it from new, he managed 41783 miles in those 33 years, I have done 8200 in my one year!!
Cheers
Matt.

Very nice bus, love the interior. Classic colours. You carnt go wrong with a setup like that :D

Really like this, with quality old school styling :D 8)

Thanks for the comments guys...

you have got me wondering now if anyone else on this forum has owned their vans for 26 years or more - but I only bought her for one six month tour of Europe back then !! beware - the time flies !

This old hippy must be havin a mid life crisis now cos I think I will have the bus lowered a little and stick a surf board on the roof (I dont surf but I ski, does that count !!). I like the lowered look especially with stock wheels and there are some butes on this website.

Yep Loxy the spare was up front until just recently, its in the back now, though in all those miles it has never been used - need to smarten up the front panel now - the chrome badge is the original however.

The curtains are over due for replacement but you might like to know, they came from the cabin bunks on an offshore drilling rig where I worked, perfect fit - how cool is that !

cheers

welcome aboard - yours is exactly the same as mine (mine was registered June 4th 69) - Devon Caravette although its been resprayed red since ...

VanMan said:
The curtains are from the cabin bunks on an offshore drilling rig

I hope they're not from the rig that I look after.......it's just been fumigated for scabies and now there's a virtual mutiny on board. It's good to see that you rack up some continental miles with the old girl. We've done some fairly hefty trips ourselves in our '71 - Greece is the furthest we've been and last year we were down in Italy.

That is a very nice bus - plus 26 years ownership, well done and lets hope it lasts you another 26 years :D

Would love to do another long trip abroad in the bus but my two stroppy teenagers wont go in it unless I have it lowered and 'bling' it whatever that means !! Fly / drive holidays have spoilt us methinks !

stay cool 8)
JR

Latest posts