Mystery wire!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padwah

Reaction score
Okay, so my fuel gauge hasn't actually worked since I bought the van so I was doing a bit of investigation around the electrics in my van.

As you can see in the photo there are two wires coming out of left hand side of the firewall behind the engine. One of them I assume is from the reverse light switch on the gear box but as the reverse lights have been rewired for the indicators it's not actually connected to anything. However, what's the other wire for? Currently it's not connected to anything either so I'm hoping it's the feed from the fuel sender and that's why the gauge is not working. Any body got any ideas?

photo.jpg

Just found my fuel sender wire when i had the engine out recently, but it was to the right of the fire wall. The two on the right go to your reverse light the other goes to the coil, this should make your reverse lights work, provided the wires are connected to the gearbox as well. Hope this helps.

Ah okay, cheers leon. I will go looking round that side of the van later on then and see what I can see, currently hoping that I don't have to repace the sender as I don't really want to drop the engine.

leon said:
Just found my fuel sender wire when i had the engine out recently, but it was to the right of the fire wall. The two on the right go to your reverse light the other goes to the coil, this should make your reverse lights work, provided the wires are connected to the gearbox as well. Hope this helps.

oops, was meant to say the 2 on the left :oops:

My sender cable had been disconnected and was an easy fix, didn't even have to take the firewall off. Don't know what you call them but they join the wires together and one of the wires had come out.

Ignore that just reread your post, the two wires onthe left were for the reverse lights.

Latest posts