narrowed beam bracket for air shocks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been checking this out. A guy on samba made a bracket where it pushes the top mount back and still uses the stock bottom mount. Same thing I guess but no welding needed.
I can't find anything on the t2d site. Will keep looking.
Anyone else any updates would be cool.
I'm thinking of making some up myself....

tellimhesdreamin said:
Been checking this out. A guy on samba made a bracket where it pushes the top mount back and still uses the stock bottom mount. Same thing I guess but no welding needed.
I can't find anything on the t2d site. Will keep looking.
Anyone else any updates would be cool.
I'm thinking of making some up myself....

If I understand the process correctly.... that would work (maybe) if you have a side plate with a stock top shock mount location, and would help clear the top trailing arm. However, if you have an aftermarket beam, with the top shock mount already moved backwards a bit, and to that you add a bracket to push it even further, you would only be making the incline/slant of the shock even more pronounced.

Hi mate. I've a stock beam, transporterhaus spindles and Gabriel air shocks. They slightly rub on the top trailing arm so I need to do something. Here is the thread I found. Looks easier than modding bottom bracket maybe. I'd have to check the angle of my shock like you say. I only need about an inch I'd say and all would be sweet.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5822064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just checked Mychas thread. He's made some that look easy enough so I might do something similar although I only need half an inch or so.

I remember seeing that bracket on samba. I would say you would probably benefit from both. what I like about the bottom bracket is that it gives so much more leverage. Im assuming there would be much less "stress" on the shock to lift. I'm in the midst of installing air shocks as well. I'm also looking into the bottom bracket setup.

I've got a T2d / slam werks 3" married beam with transporter house D/S and I'm using Erwin's kit from VolksProjects with Monroe shocks and t2d lift arm brackets and get a nice lift as shown in the clip .hope this helps .but got less without the arm brackets .

Just noticed this is still being discussed, at the moment I'm running my Gabriel air shocks without the bottom extension mounts as it keeps them at less of an angle, but not getting much lift. I'd really need both the bottom and top extensions working together to get the angle right. If anyone is making or knows where to get top mount extensions let me know!

What do you guys use at the top mount, with spacers it seems to be a weak spot on the set-up with a long bolt.
The shock is about 5 cm away from the top mount on the plate.
Hope it makes sense.

stuif said:
What do you guys use at the top mount, with spacers it seems to be a weak spot on the set-up with a long bolt.
The shock is about 5 cm away from the top mount on the plate.
Hope it makes sense.

I use a spacer, bolted up it seems ok.

That's what i did, but i think there is a lot of force on the bolt with the shock being about 5 cm away from the shock tower, and a bit afraid it wil snap :shock:
I used new strong bolts (12.9)
What i can think of is to weld the spacers onto the shock tower, but not sure if this can be done with beam mounted :?

I don't think you would gain much by welding the spacer on unless you welded some triangular shapes in as well to support it like a gusset

Instead of welding you could have some cone shaped spaces made and open up the hole on the shock tower

----| \ shock here
----| /

If it was machined like this it would spread the force. By having a sprigot ( if that's what it's called) at the shock tower end it would stay seated.

I've made mine similar to this but straight as I only need a 20 mm spacer.

Does it make sense? I couldn't be bothered to draw, photo and photobucket.

Cheers Darius

Latest posts