need a how to guide for front beam

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h9llw

Reaction score
hi guys gonna be on with repalcing my front beam this week,does anyone know of any good links??

Replaiced mine earlier this year, looks more scary than it is.
Had this email from DanDaz, worked a treat for me

First slacken the wheel nuts
Jack up the axle
Take the road wheels off. Axle stands under the crossmembers.
Take off clutch cable, speedo cable.
Handbrake cable ,this will have a bracket as well..
Take off accelerator cable
Gearshift bar ,both bolts inside van and bolt towards the rear of the bar [usually a square bolt] ,the bar needs to come out...
Steering bar ,undo ball joint near axle [this will have a split pin ,I just remove the bolt and drill the pin out after..]
Speed cable...[split pin at end of hub] just pull it out..

That will take 20 mins...

Undo caliper bolts ,let them hang down...( i supported the weight of mine)
Undo the 4 bolts eitherside that holds the axle in place....The get easier access I take the top shock bolt off and move the shock...

Another 20 minutes...

Have a quick look to see if anything is in the way ,take the jack off ,the beam will stay putt...lol

I have a BIG bar and I put it on the top ball joint and wedge it under the chassis ,and push ,then same again and the otherside...If you have not got a bar jump up and down on the front discs/drums...

Slowely the axle will move ,be carefull before it drops to protect your disc backing plates...[if you have any]

and drag out ...

another 10 minutes..lol

The time is taken up swapping all your stuff ,the get your arms back on you may need to drop a ball joint...

You can get away with just taking away one end off ....Like one side of anti roll bar ,one end of the steering ...

Plenty of grease on the new beam it will just slip on.....

Start at 10am on a Saturday morning and you will be in the pub for 12...

Hope this helps...

Was supprised how straight foward it was. :D

French forum, but you may find the pics useful ( drum brake model )

http://www.type2addict.com/bay/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=888&st=0&sk=t&sd=a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts