New brake servo, ATE fitting on 1971 bus problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty oval

Reaction score
Hi,

Just having problems fitting my new servo, ATE, got the expensive one thinking it would fit......

I have had to grind off the boss (front beam mounting bolt) that sticks out from inside the chassis that was fouling on the slightly larger dia servo.
The cable pipes above it are catching on it, which is not too much of a problem.
The main problem is the rubber bellows don't appear to fit through the large hole in the servo bracket. Do I have to make this hole bigger or will the bellows just squeeze in through the hole? I don't want to tear the rubber bellows.

Starting to wish I had gone for the £200 quid cheaper option that I know needs modifications to fit.... :x

Has any body else fitted one to a 71 LHD bus?

Cheers.

I bought one of these of my 71 LHD bus a couple of months ago and it was a striaghtforward replacement. The rubber bellows fit through the hole no problem but there is a way to get it through and theres a video on u tube showing how. Do you have the standard mounting bracket which has bolt holes spaced 72mm apart?

I also have a new ATE booster unit intended for my '71 U.S.-spec bus. I haven't yet tried to fit it on the bus, but I noticed that the
pushrod inside the booster (the part that slips inside the master cylinder front piston) extends too far into the M/C. It thus
compresses the M/C pistons and causes interference with the compensating ports, simply by mounting the M/C on the booster.
This occurs with both an original ATE and a Brazilian Varga M/C. Unlike on some other ATE boosters, there does not appear to be any convenient way to shorten that pushrod.

Got it fitted! Greased the rubber bellows and it slid nicely in. Just bolted the master cylinder straight on, bled the brakes, re Fitted the track rod. It all works!

Latest posts