New distributor problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you’ve got the right idea in leaving it alone for a bit. Get yourself a tad more chilled then get back to it but establish exactly where you are with no 1 at TDC. I did exactly the same yesterday. Had to give in and leave it alone. I’ve been messing with mine for a fair bit myself and seem no closer than I was two days ago. But that’s a different story lol

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,and we call this a fun hobby. :)
Cheers Ozzie. I Really need to if i am honest. Thats the thing i thought i knew but im just not sure. There is a red line on my flywheel on the lip which i thought was tdc but i dont think it is and i dont know why but could be wrong and cant see anymore markings. I have just got a feeling im never going to get her running right at the moment because im struggling. Not with just me anyway. Oh well. It is what it is i guess. Once again perseverance is my by word 🤙.

Ozzie’s right dude, it’s always easy with a fresh set of eyes the next day. Sounds like you’re on a similar journey that I was on a few years back trying to get a SVDA working with that carb. There’s a great thread over on Samba that’s worth a read (not tonight obviously after the time you’ve had) about the H30/31 and its compatibility with SVDA, might help you from chasing your tail.

Anyway, this’ll cheer you up, we drove from Kilgetty to Tenby today with the frickin pop top still up 🙈 We we’re getting loads of waves and flashes along the way (no kidding 🙈) we even commented on how much attention Winnie was getting 🤣. The pop top has passed the 50mph wind stress test, thank god I didn’t go in the multi-storey 🤣 what a complete numpty 🙈

Ozzie’s right dude, it’s always easy with a fresh set of eyes the next day. Sounds like you’re on a similar journey that I was on a few years back trying to get a SVDA working with that carb. There’s a great thread over on Samba that’s worth a read (not tonight obviously after the time you’ve had) about the H30/31 and its compatibility with SVDA, might help you from chasing your tail.

Anyway, this’ll cheer you up, we drove from Kilgetty to Tenby today with the frickin pop top still up 🙈 We we’re getting loads of waves and flashes along the way (no kidding 🙈) we even commented on how much attention Winnie was getting 🤣. The pop top has passed the 50mph wind stress test, thank god I didn’t go in the multi-storey 🤣 what a complete numpty 🙈
Ozzie certainly is. Trouble is my eyes are cack. Another pair is what i need ha. Ive had to take a break from it all and im going back to it when i am ok. Il have a look at that samba thread in a bit. Cheers dude🤙.
Oh no way ha. Ahh you only human Matty and it happens. There wasn't any damage was there ?

Ozzie certainly is. Trouble is my eyes are cack. Another pair is what i need ha. Ive had to take a break from it all and im going back to it when i am ok. Il have a look at that samba thread in a bit. Cheers dude🤙.
Oh no way ha. Ahh you only human Matty and it happens. There wasn't any damage was there ?
@Velgreeno no damage, we’ll just to my sides as I can’t stop laughing every time I tell someone the story 🤣

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/v...&start=0&sid=a168118710d5a5d5fa049b2a69b63b9b
Here’s that Samba thread, you may need about 5 Coffees before you read it 🙈👍🤣 as it’s a long one.

I tried that front port when I was on the same SVDA journey as you. The van got Hot, very very quickly as I think you’re just running at full advance pretty much all the time 👍

@Velgreeno no damage, we’ll just to my sides as I can’t stop laughing every time I tell someone the story 🤣

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/v...&start=0&sid=a168118710d5a5d5fa049b2a69b63b9b
Here’s that Samba thread, you may need about 5 Coffees before you read it 🙈👍🤣 as it’s a long one.

I tried that front port when I was on the same SVDA journey as you. The van got Hot, very very quickly as I think you’re just running at full advance pretty much all the time 👍
Thats good no damage. Ah right 😆.
Cheers for the link. Il get the kettle on ha. I have changed the port now to where it is supposed to be on the side according to folks and diagrams and i have blocked off all on the front. Hopefully she will be running good soon. 🤙.

Well done – it’s a great feeling when you fix it yourself! What was the issue in the end?
Hey @shiddot i did get someone to help me in the end and we did it. It was a case of 2 leads on the wrong way and the timing mark on my flywheel was actually completely wrong really strangely and 180 degrees out which was the problem. Still the correct line was found hence in the video you can see a white mark on my flywheel. That is the correct mark now. Looks a bit meh but i know exactly whats happening now and there are numbers on the leads so its future fool proof. Well thats the theory 😳😆. Teamed up with new sparks and new leads etc shes running good. (Touch wood) ha. We timed her as well by sound and a lightbulb on electric wire. I saw this in a video and you can time an engine doing this and when bulb lights up shes timed. Sounds crazy but it actually works. It did for me ha. Not going to lie though. I feel so angry at myself for not seeing that and cant believe i got 2 of the leads wrong. You live and learn i guess. 🤙.

Last edited:

Latest posts