New distributor problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey folks. Well as some of you know i bought a new vac distributor not long ago. Well i have just installed it now but swapped with electronic ignition and the right wires are on the right terminals Checked everything quite a few times before starting, rota arm in the way it came , no loose connections as far as i can see, the ht leads i haven't touched and they are in the same place, the distributor itself is in correctly and in there up to the neck with smooth movement for adjusting, the cap is on good and as far as i can see, thevvac pipe is on the bottom pipe of the carb amd everything is as it should be but she wont start. Turns over but no start up. What have i missed ? Cheers. 😕🤙.

What I just installed. The vac pipe needs a trim I know ha.🤙.
View attachment 5682
I’ve just had exactly the same problem. However squirting fuel into carb helped it fire - so I checked fuel pump which is my problem. Could be yours. Disconnect the fuel line from top of carb and see if it squirts into a can when turning over engine.
May need ..
a fire extinguisher and a responsible adult at hand 🤓

I’ve just had exactly the same problem. However squirting fuel into carb helped it fire - so I checked fuel pump which is my problem. Could be yours. Disconnect the fuel line from top of carb and see if it squirts into a can when turning over engine.
May need ..
a fire extinguisher and a responsible adult at hand 🤓
Hey @YellowBay69 ahh her fuel pump is good and working . She was running with her old distributor. I just cant seem to get her running with the new one. I made sure this vac distributor was compatible. Its baffling me. It seems like electric isn't getting to it for some reason and cant see why.

Hey, if you had an 009 previously fitted then the orientation of the HT leads can be different for position #1, you would also expect to see the Vac can further round to the left. Also your Vac pipe should come out of the side of the carb not the rear where you currently have it. Good luck

We see this a lot when people swap from an 009 to a vac advance, no1 is 90 degrees out from where it is an an 009, you should always set your engine to TDC before removing the dizzy so you have a datum point to see what happens when you install the new dizzy.
As long as the dizzy drive was put in correctly when the engine was built then the rotor arm points to approx 5 o clock ie out of the engine bay to the right when an 009 is fitted, with a vac advance the rotor arm points to No 1 cylinder so 2 o clock when looking down.
When swapping from 009 to Vac advance its normal to remove the leads from the dizzy cap and move them one position anti clockwise, see illustration below.
Always best to get the engine to TDC and see where the rotor arm is pointing.

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 20.06.30.png

Also, depending on your electronic ignition, module I’m not sure that 009 and SVDA are the same. That’s certainly the case with petronix, there’s a module for Vac advance and a module for Mech only advance 009.

Going back to HT leads, the great thing about Vac only distributors 111 905 205 AA for example, is that the HT Lead orientation is the same as an 009. I used to carry a spare 009 so that in the event of the Vac can failing on the Vac dizzy I could just put it at TDC swap out the dizzy and clip the same cap back on.
Never had to do it, but always reassuring to know 👍

Always good to face a plan B 🤣

Last edited:
Hey folks. Cheers for the replies @Graham L and @matty74 Well i have done the ht leads back one, the rota arm at 2 etc etc and she still wont start. I have got a strong feeling the reason now is because the electronic ignition i put in was in my 009 and doing some research there is a difference like you said Matty. I think for now il put the points and condenser back in untill i can get electronic for vacuum. They are brand new so might as well. I know there is Petronix but are they any good as i havent had a good experience with that brand in the past and are there any other good brands for this out there for this ? And the points etc is going to have to be my plan b matty ha.

I had Petronix “ignitor’s” on my array of
distributors before changing to a 123. Never had a problem. I have read that people have had issues with the Ignitor II module.
I still carry a spare SVDA, marked up to a reference point on the fancy scaled distributor clamp I fitted, even though the 123 is brand new.
Obviously, there are other ignition modules available, but I still think they are different for Vac and Mech advance.

That's all good @matty74 . Well folks. Got the points, condenser back in etc etc and guess what. I still can't get her started. She turns over but no starting. I'm beginning to think the distributor is dud. That's 2 now if that's the case. 😔.

Connect a 12v bulb across the coil connections, rotate the engine by hand with the ignition on. Does the bulb light and go out somewhere near your timing mark?

Hey folks.. i got her running with electronic ignition in a vac distributor but shes not running right. She ticks over and revvs up but back fire and splutters a little bit. Im thinking new ht leads and new spark plugs should sort her out hopefully. My god im so tired. 😟. Just wish i knew some VW folks. 😕.

Hey folks.. i got her running with electronic ignition in a vac distributor but shes not running right. She ticks over and revvs up but back fire and splutters a little bit. Im thinking new ht leads and new spark plugs should sort her out hopefully. My god im so tired. 😟. Just wish i knew some VW folks. 😕.
Where in the country are you, I'm sure there will be someone close who can help?

Well done for getting her running. Have you moved the vac hose to the left side of the carb, just above fuel shut off valve? That’s where it needs to be on the H30/H31, all other ports blanked off

This still sounds like the HT leads are in the wrong place! Sorry for asking what may seem like a stupid question, Are you sure you checked the position of the rotor arm for cylinder 1 on the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke? (I said it was probably a stupid question!)

Well done for getting her running. Have you moved the vac hose to the left side of the carb, just above fuel shut off valve? That’s where it needs to be on the H30/H31, all other ports blanked off
Hey Matty. Cheers dude. Its taken me hours and been a bit of a pain and im fried if im honest. Ive tried it on the side but seems better on the front and other ports are blanked. So confusing unless im being slow as usual. Just wish there was someone to come and look in my area but there isn't.

This still sounds like the HT leads are in the wrong place! Sorry for asking what may seem like a stupid question, Are you sure you checked the position of the rotor arm for cylinder 1 on the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke? (I said it was probably a stupid question!)
Hey Mechanoid. I must have checked over and over and as far as i know they are int he right place. She ticks over so im guessing its right. As for the rota arm i believe its 2 o clock starting from top right on the dizzy and on the notch on it too. exhaust stroke ? I just dont know anymore ha 😕.

Cheers for the replies folks. I hope i can get her going properly. Heads fried right now and a struggle at the moment. Just hope i can try and sort her and soon. 🤙.

I think you’ve got the right idea in leaving it alone for a bit. Get yourself a tad more chilled then get back to it but establish exactly where you are with no 1 at TDC. I did exactly the same yesterday. Had to give in and leave it alone. I’ve been messing with mine for a fair bit myself and seem no closer than I was two days ago. But that’s a different story lol

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,and we call this a fun hobby. :)

Latest posts