Running like a dog

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So in another thread I said my dizzy was shot. rotor arm metal end bent up electrical lead severed. So I bought a new SSP 034 Distributor with 12V Electronic Ignition and Vacuum Advance. Re timed advance pipe removed. went out and it ran ok for first 10m then ran like a dog no guts on hills even inclines. Bought new coil and leads. Fitted still no change. Cleaned plugs re timed still not right. The only other change was the pipe from fuel pump to carb which has a smaller diameter than the one to the pump from tank.
any ideas please. Thank you

This, I’m afraid, is one of those times when a professional VW Aircooled mechanic is required. They’ll have it sorted in minutes.

I may know the problem. Looking on Heritage site as the item comes with no instruction It states Engine timing should be set after installation. Use a stroboscopic timing light. Timing should be set initially at 30-32° BTDC at 3,500+ RPM, vacuum hose disconnected and plugged. Maximum advance, at 3,500+ RPM, vacuum hose connected, with no load on engine (car sitting still), light throttle, should not exceed 42-44° BTDC.

as I have the old crankshaft pulley how do I find 32 deg
as I have no rev counter how do I get to 3.500
cheers

You need a digital timing light with rpm and advance adjustment, you dial in the advance and it shows your timing mark as zero if you know what I mean.

I know but they start at £90 I’ve got s basic timing light. I now have a plan. I have downloaded an RPM app I will buy a protractor and mark up the pulley. It will have to wait now I’m away for 3 weeks

also check/change fuel filter, cheap way to eliminate another possible cause

Id be tempted to buy an old second hand German distributor just to try and see if it eliminates any problems?

I tried various “compatible” Bosch distributors in my ‘71, but when I finally found the correct distributor for my bus, made for use in a bus, it made a big difference. 211 905 205Q

Just a data point.

Out of interest did the instructions you found refer to the actual distributor you bought as those timing instructions are not right for a vac advance dizzy?, vac advance dizzys are set at 7.5 degrees static not at 3500 rpm and you said it ran ok for the first 10 minutes, if the timing was out it wouldn’t have run at all, did you clamp the dizzy body properly?

Have you checked that your HT leads are connected properly? I had exactly the symptoms you describe in my ‘72, and it turned out that one of the leads, which had a poorly made metal ferrule in the cap that slots over the spark, had popped righ

Sorry - accidentally sent mid message! The lead had popped off but I think the connection had always been poor, causing the van to run on 3.5 cylinders.

Latest posts