New fan belt running too hot?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

severn007

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Pretty new to the VW van scene so your advice will be much appreciated. Went out for a shake down run in my 71' tin top, on return I found the belt had shredded, I replaced this with a new correct sized belt. Fitted this useing shims as advised, tension seems right at about 10 - 12mm ish and can just turn at 90 deg angle. The problem is that after a short run the new belt seemed very hot and there seemed to be a very light 'whirring' noise when driving which I presumed was coming from the Dynamo.... (this wasn't there before but the old belt was quite slack) Is this right and how 'hot' do the belts become?? I may be a little paranoid but I just wanted the check and get your advice!

This might sound obvious, but try popping an additional shim in, to slacken the belt 'just a tad'.

That whirring could be the alternator straining a little under an over tight belt. Better to replace a belt than an alternator.

Those on the forum with a lot more knowledge than I have (I am pretty piss poor at this to be honest) might have other thoughts. :D

if you've got the original dynamo are the bearings ok?

Otherwise you could try doing what was said above and just slacken it off a touch. See if that stops the whirring noise. :)

Latest posts