New seats ???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ozziedog said:
Now we have another issue as in Mrs Ozziedog is putting me off these seats :shock: :cry: :shock:
She’s used that dirty dirty dirty trick by saying “You can do what you like “ :? “But” :? “I don’t really like them” :roll:
“I know you’ll do what you want, but I don’t think they go very well at all” :roll: :shock: :roll:
So now where do I go with it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,at least I haven’t fitted them or had em re upped :mrgreen:

Or you could keep the MX5 seats and change your wife for a newer/younger model ;) :mrgreen:

Well big thanks to Graysummers for that kick in the pants that was needed big time :mrgreen: You’ll never guess what I did in the afternoon yesterday :roll: ??? I only fixed up my own seats and they’re now superberer than superb :lol:
When I turned them over, I had one broken coil on the front leading edge / corner as I guess that’s where the most action happens as in seat versus lardy ass combat :? . I repaired this broken spring with a large 240V electrical connector, the type that has two screws in, I wouldn’t mind an even bigger one if I can find one somewhere :mrgreen:
I had a good look at the coir and as said above ^^^ you could see where the springs were embedding into the coir. So I’ve cut a piece of 15mm foam the same size as the inside of the seat pad. I then removed the little wire link that links the two central springs together. Carefully and slowly I pushed this foam under all the springs and I ended up using a round nose gauging trowel to help with this and after about four little nicks, I put on a pair of thin fabric work gloves because there’s a lot of sharp edges down there :shock: so why didn’t I put them on as soon as I started bleeding from the first cut :? or even the second cut :? or perhaps the third time :? Anyway I eventually put the gloves on , not because I’m the sharpest tool in the box because I’m not, I put them on to stop the blood going all over my lovely new white foam and that’s when it dawned on me that I’m not getting any more cuts :shock: :oops: :shock: duuuhh! As always I get dead carried away with what I’m doing and don’t worry too much about incidentals and consequences :roll: Anyway, I’ve spread the foam out and it’s looking very good, but it does look like the springs might chomp into it inside of a week or two so I’m looking for something else a little tougher but still flexible and I came up with breathable roofing membrane that I happened to have lurking about from another project. So I repeat this spreading operation and get the membrane between the foam and the springs and it seems to work well. So I try out the seat with my fist and leaning on it and I can feel an improvement straight away. Now I’d forgotten about the wire link, so I pop that back on and it improves again, and this starts me thinking :msn4: yes, dangerous I know ;) So Im thinking and I’m getting the tunes on at the same time, I’m thinking that the creaking etc is because the springs are a little weaker after fifty years of fat asses landing on them and these links are like spreading the weight and helping the springs to work in unison rather than letting them fight against the weight individually :idea: :idea: :idea: So I get some garden wire, the kind covered in green plastic and I join the springs together by making links winding the wire around twice then tightening just a little, I’ve now linked each of the edge coil springs to the long springs on each node or juncture and every other wiggle in the long springs I’ve made new wire links to each other to spread the load. This worked so well that I did it all over again on the passenger seat (Mrs Ozziedogs) :p but this time I tried a slightly different technique, I used foam, and I used roofing membrane but instead of wire I used cable ties or zip ties for them from overseas :lol: I wrapped the tie around twice then clicked it in, I didn’t pull them tight as they’ll become tight as soon as some butt cheeks venture close Is my thinking. Well,,,results??? Not only am I impressed and pleased with myself but I’d go so far as to say they are almost like brand new seats :shock: :shock: :shock: I’ve been for a test drive, Mrs Ozziedog thinks I’ve got different seats and swapped the covers, the difference is really night and day. I still think the spring repair with the cable connector is a tad suss so I’ll source another spring or get a bigger connector or weld a little bent bar on each side of it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,pleased, pleased, and chuffed :mrgreen:

Dirty Harry said:
ozziedog said:
Now we have another issue as in Mrs Ozziedog is putting me off these seats :shock: :cry: :shock:
She’s used that dirty dirty dirty trick by saying “You can do what you like “ :? “But” :? “I don’t really like them” :roll:
“I know you’ll do what you want, but I don’t think they go very well at all” :roll: :shock: :roll:
So now where do I go with it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,at least I haven’t fitted them or had em re upped :mrgreen:

Or you could keep the MX5 seats and change your wife for a newer/younger model ;) :mrgreen:

I wonder why I never thought of that hhhmmmpp. It’s because it’s a bad idea, bad, bad, bad. :msn4:
I’m usually in enough trouble without any encouragement from anyone thank yooooou ! :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, I’m not even gonna think about it :mrgreen:

My seats are stuffend with foam some 20 years ago, nowadays the new Coco hair seat pads from Wolfsburg west makes the seat way more comfyer as foam does, maybe that i change my foam for coco hair ones this winter.

ozziedog said:
Well big thanks to Graysummers for that kick in the pants that was needed big time :mrgreen: You’ll never guess what I did in the afternoon yesterday :roll: ??? I only fixed up my own seats and they’re now superberer than superb :lol:
When I turned them over, I had one broken coil on the front leading edge / corner as I guess that’s where the most action happens as in seat versus lardy ass combat :? . I repaired this broken spring with a large 240V electrical connector, the type that has two screws in, I wouldn’t mind an even bigger one if I can find one somewhere :mrgreen:
I had a good look at the coir and as said above ^^^ you could see where the springs were embedding into the coir. So I’ve cut a piece of 15mm foam the same size as the inside of the seat pad. I then removed the little wire link that links the two central springs together. Carefully and slowly I pushed this foam under all the springs and I ended up using a round nose gauging trowel to help with this and after about four little nicks, I put on a pair of thin fabric work gloves because there’s a lot of sharp edges down there :shock: so why didn’t I put them on as soon as I started bleeding from the first cut :? or even the second cut :? or perhaps the third time :? Anyway I eventually put the gloves on , not because I’m the sharpest tool in the box because I’m not, I put them on to stop the blood going all over my lovely new white foam and that’s when it dawned on me that I’m not getting any more cuts :shock: :oops: :shock: duuuhh! As always I get dead carried away with what I’m doing and don’t worry too much about incidentals and consequences :roll: Anyway, I’ve spread the foam out and it’s looking very good, but it does look like the springs might chomp into it inside of a week or two so I’m looking for something else a little tougher but still flexible and I came up with breathable roofing membrane that I happened to have lurking about from another project. So I repeat this spreading operation and get the membrane between the foam and the springs and it seems to work well. So I try out the seat with my fist and leaning on it and I can feel an improvement straight away. Now I’d forgotten about the wire link, so I pop that back on and it improves again, and this starts me thinking :msn4: yes, dangerous I know ;) So Im thinking and I’m getting the tunes on at the same time, I’m thinking that the creaking etc is because the springs are a little weaker after fifty years of fat asses landing on them and these links are like spreading the weight and helping the springs to work in unison rather than letting them fight against the weight individually :idea: :idea: :idea: So I get some garden wire, the kind covered in green plastic and I join the springs together by making links winding the wire around twice then tightening just a little, I’ve now linked each of the edge coil springs to the long springs on each node or juncture and every other wiggle in the long springs I’ve made new wire links to each other to spread the load. This worked so well that I did it all over again on the passenger seat (Mrs Ozziedogs) :p but this time I tried a slightly different technique, I used foam, and I used roofing membrane but instead of wire I used cable ties or zip ties for them from overseas :lol: I wrapped the tie around twice then clicked it in, I didn’t pull them tight as they’ll become tight as soon as some butt cheeks venture close Is my thinking. Well,,,results??? Not only am I impressed and pleased with myself but I’d go so far as to say they are almost like brand new seats :shock: :shock: :shock: I’ve been for a test drive, Mrs Ozziedog thinks I’ve got different seats and swapped the covers, the difference is really night and day. I still think the spring repair with the cable connector is a tad suss so I’ll source another spring or get a bigger connector or weld a little bent bar on each side of it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,pleased, pleased, and chuffed :mrgreen:

Some bloke normally comes along at this point and pleads for lots of photos, we like photos we do!!

Good luck sourcing springs!!

Love your reads Ozzie. Just drove from Mid Wales where I live to the Llyn Peninsula where I’m double isolating. Staying in a cottage (first isolation) owned by one of my Wife’s (note the capital W) customers that supplies her wholefood shop with home made goodies. So very hippy organic views to die for loveliness. And intending to drive about a fair bit in the bus (second isolation) and park up in quiet places making tea, coffee and eating from the VeeDub inner sanctuary. At night.... Drinks in the cottage of the alcohol kind in the form of Guinness (West Indies Porter) and Jack Daniels. My Wife (W) on white wine, whiskey and gin. More staying power than me! Mind you. Any seat would feel comfortable after that lot. So travelling about? All this on those seats I mentioned before. So far? Very, very nice experience. No squeaking metal, bouncy pads, no pressure sores on the butt that I’d have to wound dress myself and very, importantly, a happy Wife (essential W use again) in the seat next to me. Sounds like you won your own battle of the bulge and that poser pouch was an inspirational inclusion. Hope they feel as good as they sound. All the best Ozzie. And thanks for keeping the fun in all these nutty dutty times. As a nurse? It’s a blessed relief. You’re a star. Cheers.

Edit: Anyone else doing refurb. Remembered looking at these two YouTube videos at the time. Best ones I saw when searching. Same guy. Parts 1 and 2 of the process.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2X81qKEh6Jo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Xx5HMjbhw&t=19s

Hi guys not sure how old this thread is. I use mx5 seats with head rest. I used to have saab leather seats which were comfy but Mrs ks feet would touch the floor. So I fitted the second hand mx5 seats and that sorted the height issue. Reasonably comfortable. They do have adjustable headrests .

Latest posts